Exception upon execution under linux

diem

Registered
Hi all,

First time user of REW, or at least I'd like to be! I executed the linux installer shell script with no issue - no challenge to find a supported JVM. Unfortunately, when I execute roomeqwizard in a shell, the error below is thrown to the log and the process exits back to a prompt. This error is thrown when java apps that use AWT cannot find the library code they need to access screens and input devices, however all my other Java GUI apps run fine. My DISPLAY variable is set to localhost:0.0. I'm using IcedTea relese of OpenJDK 1.8.0_222. Can someone offer any suggestions to the cause?

Thanks,

Ian

Code:
java.awt.HeadlessException
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:204)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:536)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
        at javax.swing.SwingUtilities$SharedOwnerFrame.<init>(SwingUtilities.java:1762)
        at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.getSharedOwnerFrame(SwingUtilities.java:1837)
        at javax.swing.JWindow.<init>(JWindow.java:187)
        at javax.swing.JWindow.<init>(JWindow.java:139)
        at roomeqwizard.u.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard.main(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:85)
        at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher.main(UnixLauncher.java:62)

cgull

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
I ran into something similar but more subtle. Make sure that your distribution‘s packages for a full desktop Java configuration are installed. The REW installer works fine on a server (though maybe in text mode), even where REW itself may not run. In my case on Ubuntu, REW started up OK but audio I/O failed because pulseaudio support was missing.

diem

Registered
Thanks cgull,

Embarrassingly enough, I did indeed install my JDK as headless. The GUI java applications that are working all bundle their own JRE. Reinstalled the system JDK with AWT enabled and hey presto REW ran with no issues. Thanks for making me question my assumptions!

Ian

cgull

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
Yay!

For the record, I was using Ubuntu amd64 (I think 19.04 at the time, now 19.10). I had openjdk-8-jre-headless installed and installing openjdk-8-jre fixed the problem.

What distribution are you using and what packages were involved?

diem

Registered
I'm on Gentoo amd64, and using the icedtea jdk package. Since Gentoo is source-based it was a matter of altering the relevant USE variable (headless-awt) to disable it, then reinstalling the package.

Top Bottom