Ever wondered what a Mid 90's Bose Acoustimas system measured like?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I was trying to get some measurements of my living room acoustics to use for a point of comparison. I decided to take a full set of measurements and make a comparison to the speakers as well, just to see how bad the Acoustimas system is.

Of course anyone who really knows Bose knows a few truths. First, they put a lot of engineering into their products, and love them or hate them, you have to admit they squeeze a lot of sound out of small packages. I've generally found their sound to be pleasant for background listening, but unable to really get loud without sounding harsh. In addition, I've noticed that the older bandpass subs have some distortion issues, namely some "honking" problems. Sure enough, you will see those in the measurements.

Anyone remember the old saying, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!" Well I can tell you right now, my measurements don't really bear that out too much. They don't have extension to 20khz, but they really do extend high enough to be decent.

Now for the frequency response:
Freq Spk.jpg
As you can see its a pretty flat response to about 6khz and then begins to roll off. It still has extension out to 13khz, but rolls off a good amount after that. The highs are certainly rolled off, but I also measured from my listening position, and was not on axis to the speaker. It may measure better on axis. The speakers are mounted above the tv which is part of the challenge. Still, a no speaker with that angle would not likely show so much roll off. however, what I find interesting is that this speaker has solid extension down to 35hz. When you consider the total volume of this speaker, that is pretty impressive extension. Sure there are any number of small high end subwoofers from Velodyne, Carver, Sunfire, etc. that could probably match or better than number by a bit, but remember: This was from around 1994 (those didn't really exist yet) and it cost around $500 total (which is about what just the subs cost when they came out). So I will just say, I'm impressed with its bass response.

Ok now lets look at the Distortion. Again, I was actually pretty impressed by the distortion. The high frequency distortion is likely a sign of clipping, nothing to pay attention to, just a measurement artifact (not amp clipping, signal clipping).
Bose_Dist.jpg

Do you see that spike at about 208hz. That's what I was calling bandpass honk. It isn't a port resonance in the obvious sense. This is an 8th order bandpass so they can sometimes have resonances that show up like this. My much larger theater bandpass subs do the same thing, just at a MUCH higher level. That measurement is calibrated against a Level 2 calibrated SPL meter (and NIOSH tests show it meets Level 1 accuracy). That means this has a spike in the distortion at just 72db's output or so. That IS audible, and with low male voices, can be distracting. Now I'll admit that this subwoofer, being so old, could have something wrong with it. I intend to take it apart one of these days to investigate, but given that there is no issue anywhere else (and that I see this with other subwoofers of similar design), I'm inclined to consider this fairly normal behavior. Otherwise, that distortion level is pretty low.

I've also included a measurement comparison against the theater. The volume levels are artificially matched, I took them at two different levels. This is basically my Gedlee speakers and subs against the Bose in a treated theater vs totally untreated living room.
ThtrvsLivrm.jpg

Clearly the theater is better, but honestly I was impressed the Bose measured as well as it did. I expected higher distortion levels (beyond that spike) and I expected a worse in room response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark C Flick

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Other Speakers or Equipment
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
Curious if these measurements were taken in the same room and with the speakers in the same position? Room correction?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
And I should add, if that sounds like I made a strange Apples to Oranges comparison, remember that I said earlier I was trying to get a measurement of a room that would measure substantially different from my heavily treated theater. I was hoping for some terrible bass (which I think the bass sounds terrible in that room) decay, but didn't get it. Oh well, at least I got an interesting story out of it.

Obviously differences in the bass between the two speakers could be as much about the room as it is about the speaker, which was part of the point. A speaker and room are part of one system and work together, especially in the bass, so that is to be expected. Above 1khz the room would make little difference short of horrible placement or diffraction sources, so its a fair comparison. I really was making the point the Bose doesn't extend as high or low as a reference grade system, but isn't as bad as expected. That both are pretty flat.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Very interesting, Matt. It's not so uncommon to see most speakers have fairly steep rolloff right around 18kHz, is it?

Have to say, I'm impressed... I've never been entirely opposed to Bose. Often times their systems have nice room filling sound. And, frankly, that's what most folks want. The hardcore picky listener, while relevant, is the minority in this world.

Great thread!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL