Emotiva XPA Amp Questions

Jaxon1

Registered
*** Jaxon1's post was moved form the SVS Ultimate Atmos System Review***

Hello
How did you like the Emotiva xpa amp whit the svs ultra Towers and ultra center ..?
Would you prefer an other amp for the svs speakers or are you wery happy whit that combo..?
Have you tested them whit youst the yamaha reciver and then put the Emotiva amp back..? If so what did you notice and how did you like it..?
How would you discribe the sound whit the Emotiva xpa amp.? Neutral - warm - bright, open - and how is the punch against when you have it youst on the yamaha reciver..?

Hope you can help me out a bit im trying to deside to get the Emotiva xpa-3 gen3 or maybe emotiva xpa-dr3 or maybe an other brand.. sugestions..?

My room is for movies 95% and the rest music.
1450 Cubic feet room seald concrete. 11ft wide 21ft long and 6.7ft high i have room the room acustic treated. Best regards Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hey @Jaxon1, lots of questions to dig through, here!

I've run that Emotiva XPA amp for several years, both in conjunction with a Yamaha RX-A3050 and a Marantz 7012. Love the amp, so much so that I just purchased a 10-channel Emotiva XPA amp (2 mono and 8 stereo channels) to allow my room to run 15 channels simultaneously. Emotiva makes fantastic gear.

I think the XPA and Ultra speakers make a great combination. No complaints on sound quality from me.... and to be quite honest, I'm not sure if my ears could discern a difference between the XPA or a comparably priced amp.

I didn't power the the Ultra Towers with the Yamaha A-3050... but I did with the Marantz 7012. Ultimately, the amp allows for more clarity and composure at loud levels of sound. In terms of tonality of the Emotiva Amp - I'd probably characterize it as neutral. The biggest effector our SQ, in my opinion, comes from what you're feeding it with.

Definitely strongly consider Emotiva... another alternative would be the Monoprice Monolith amp offerings. Both of those are head-2-head competitors. Perhaps check out offerings from NAD too (although, I don't believe they offer anything more than a 2-channel stereo amp).

Jaxon1

Registered
Hey @Jaxon1, lots of questions to dig through, here!

I've run that Emotiva XPA amp for several years, both in conjunction with a Yamaha RX-A3050 and a Marantz 7012. Love the amp, so much so that I just purchased a 10-channel Emotiva XPA amp (2 mono and 8 stereo channels) to allow my room to run 15 channels simultaneously. Emotiva makes fantastic gear.

I think the XPA and Ultra speakers make a great combination. No complaints on sound quality from me.... and to be quite honest, I'm not sure if my ears could discern a difference between the XPA or a comparably priced amp.

I didn't power the the Ultra Towers with the Yamaha A-3050... but I did with the Marantz 7012. Ultimately, the amp allows for more clarity and composure at loud levels of sound. In terms of tonality of the Emotiva Amp - I'd probably characterize it as neutral. The biggest effector our SQ, in my opinion, comes from what you're feeding it with.

Definitely strongly consider Emotiva... another alternative would be the Monoprice Monolith amp offerings. Both of those are head-2-head competitors. Perhaps check out offerings from NAD too (although, I don't believe they offer anything more than a 2-channel stereo amp).

Hi and thanks for answear
What do you Think of xpa-3 vs xpa-dr3 for a room like mine 1500 Cubic feet room seald concrete. Accustical damped do you think i would notice any differens in a small room like mine..? I can Only use rca cables betwin my Arcam avr550 reciver and the Emotiva.

Attachments

• -784361756_received_252861292085405_77763.jpeg
    -784361756_received_252861292085405_77763.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 53
  • -277936291_received_339188576828940_159032.jpeg
    -277936291_received_339188576828940_159032.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190508_085027.jpg
    20190508_085027.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 49

GFOviedo

I've got an oldie but goodie Emotiva LPA-1 7 channel. 5 channels are 125 wpc, and the other 2 are 55 wpc I believe. Plenty of power to drive my Chane speaker set up with a Denon X4300. Emotiva stopped working on their older model equipment, but I've found several shops who can work on them.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Nice looking setup! You should create a showcase page (https://www.avnirvana.com/showcase/).

XPA vs XPADR... I've not heard a DR in action. I do know it is only configurable up to 3 channels... and uses Class H topology, which Emotiva says is more efficient. And they output is crazy amount of power... far more than you'll ever need with your setup.

The question being: can your ears hear a difference between the standard XPA or step-up DR? The DR might offer you more refinement by design... is it possible to hear that with the SVS Ultras? I'm not sure. I do think, however, your ears will be really happy with either model.

Jaxon1

Registered
Nice looking setup! You should create a showcase page (https://www.avnirvana.com/showcase/).

XPA vs XPADR... I've not heard a DR in action. I do know it is only configurable up to 3 channels... and uses Class H topology, which Emotiva says is more efficient. And they output is crazy amount of power... far more than you'll ever need with your setup.

The question being: can your ears hear a difference between the standard XPA or step-up DR? The DR might offer you more refinement by design... is it possible to hear that with the SVS Ultras? I'm not sure. I do think, however, your ears will be really happy with either model.

Ok thanks for answear

Have you tested the Emotiva xpa vs other amps and howe do you put does amps vs emotiva in that case and which would suit my svs ultra Towers and ultra center the best you think..? Dont whant the sound do get harsch when playing loud youst controled and neutral "warm" so i dont feel i whant to turn down becouse of ear fautigh if you now what i mean..

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
No, I haven't done an straight amp comparisons... and I'm not entirely convinced I'd hear much of a difference. I think that flavor of the sound you're describing will largely be driven by processing in your pre-amp or AVR.

Jaxon1

Registered
No, I haven't done an straight amp comparisons... and I'm not entirely convinced I'd hear much of a difference. I think that flavor of the sound you're describing will largely be driven by processing in your pre-amp or AVR.

Ok.. thanks for answear

Top Bottom