Do you owe it to yourself to check out the latest ESL designs?

Jazzman53

Do you owe it to yourself to check out the latest electrostatic speaker designs?

Ahh; YES.

No speaker is perfect but I wish everyone could hear the latest ESL designs.
I'm sure many would find their sound addictive.

I will discuss both commercial and DIY designs, but first I must confess my bias favoring ESLs, which I've championed for years, and in particular my own DIY design.

In my experience, it's far easier for a DIY'er to build a world-class ESL than a world-class conventional speaker. I don't mean that it's less work (the labor is horrendous)-- just that a good result is more certain because you start with less baggage.

I can list as many cons as pros for ESLs but the pros are really good and the cons are [mostly] not terribly hard to remedy in a good design. Some manufacturers mitigate the cons quite well and the latest offerings are better than ever.

Pros:
1. The ultra-low moving mass diaphragm is so effectively dampened by the greater air mass it's coupled to, that it simply doesn't ring.
2. Line-source configuration gives really good imaging.
3. Contrary to popular belief and the commercial offerings, DIY designs can tailor dispersion patterns as desired or even provide switch-selectable wide & narrow dispersion modes (costly but do-able).
4. No crossover-- or a hybrid can use a single crossover down low where it's less audible.
5. Typically excellent/superior coherence, resolution & transient response.

Cons:
1. The diaphragm's drum-head resonance is a nasty-loud distortion that's difficult to mask.
2. Anemic bass unless the panel is huge, and drum-head resonance can render it boomy & sluggish.
3. Hybrids add the bass but few achieve a seamless blending of the woofer & stat panel.
4. Narrow dispersion which some listeners find objectionable (i.e. "head-in-a-vise" effect).
5. Capacitive load & impedance as low 1 Ohm in treble band requires a strong, stable amp.
6. Long-term reliability is historically iffy, especially in DIY versions.

Mitigating the drum head resonance:
An ESL diaphragm is remarkably resonance-free across the audio bandwidth except for a single fundamental "drum-head" resonance peak which typically occurs in the bass region at a frequency determined by its tension. This resonance is analogous to a woofer's free-air resonance (f/s) and is likewise undesirable.

The drum head resonance is the most difficult impediment in any ESL design-- it's nasty-loud, slow to decay, it can't be eliminated, can't be tolerated, and must be mitigated. It's particularly difficult to deal with in full range designs because the panel is forced to operate at bass frequencies where the drum head resonance occurs and dominates.

Acoustat and many other full range designs apply a felt or mesh fabric on the rear stator which partially absorbs the resonance energy.

Soundlab actually uses the drum-head resonance energy to boost bass output by dividing the diaphragm into multiple different-width sections which break up the single/loud/narrow resonance peak into multiple softer resonances spread over a wider bandwidth (i.e. "distributed resonance"). It's an innovative solution that mitigates the loud "one note boom" and also boosts output, but it's not a perfect solution because this resonance is by definition a distortion, so using it must include its distortion in the music playback.

Martin Logan tensions the diaphragm quite high, and likewise uses distributed resonance to enhance the upper bass/lower midrange, so that less EQ'ing is required to offset the panel's dipole roll off and flatten its response curve. Here again, distributed resonance spreads out the drum-head resonance, which necessarily includes its distortion.

Mitigating the narrow dispersion:
Narrow dispersion isn't necessarily a flaw. In fact, the Sanders/InnerSound speakers are purposely designed or narrow dispersion because it gives the most precise imaging (at their tightly focused sweet spot). Some prefer the narrow sweet spot for this reason but it's not so good for entertaining guests, and most speaker designers opt for wider dispersion.

Some designs (ML, Soundlab) curve the stat panel to about 30 degrees of arc, which curves its projected wave-front and widens the sweet spot. The small curvature is still a bit beamy but retains much of the magical imaging.

King Sound, ER Audio and few wire-stator designs use a separate narrow treble section within the ESL panel to spread the highs.

The Quad 63 and similar designs use separate bass panels and a center mid/treble panel with concentric ring conductors sequentially driven thru an LC delay line to function as a point source projecting a spherical wave front. This works quite well and effectively resolves the the "head-in-a-vice" effect of narrow dispersion.

Mitigating the load capcitance:
Most designs add low value resistors in front of the transformers which renders the load partially-resistive (although still mostly capacitive).

Reliability:
Most manufactures now produce reliable speakers, although 20 years seems to be the best-case limit (except for Acoustats which are seemingly immortal). I would not advise purchasing a DIY ESL unless you do your homework on the specific design, and you and trust the builder to stand behind it.

The weakest link in any ESL panel is the diaphragm coating degrading over time. So; a good design goal would make the panel easy to disassemble without damaging the stators, and preferably also leave the diaphragm intact. If so accessible; the diaphragm could be easily/cheaply re-coated or replaced.

The most robust designs use insulated wire stators because of their superior resistance to arcing.
Perf metal stators can be reliable if made by a manufacturer like ML who has mastered the specialized processes required to prevent arcing.

I would no longer build and never purchase a DIY ESL with perf metal stators because it's so difficult to perfectly smooth-over the cut metal edges and apply the insulating coatings with the margins required to prevent arcing.

The old Acoustat ESLs were/are bullet proof reliable because they used superbly insulated wire stators and a simple carbon black diaphragm coating that remained stable over time-- these continue to play happily 30 years on and counting...

So; if you want a super reliable ESL; buy or build a design that's similar to the Acoustat, or at least one with stators than can be easily disassembled to access the diaphragms (Acoustats can't be disassembled but they never die, so it's moot).

*********************************************************************************************************************

My latest DIY design (Jazzman MkIII):

The drum head resonance: Is simply avoided (not excited) by tensioning the diaphragm to resonate <100Hz, and then crossing the panel out to the woofer at least one octave above the resonance using a steep-sloped digital crossover (250Hz @48db/oct). Hence; the panel is not being energized/excited near the diaphragm's resonance frequency.

Dispersion: Tailoring the dispersion requires choosing either a narrow sweet spot with precise imaging or a wide sweet spot with less precise imaging or something in-between (physics forces this choice-- you can't have it all).
I chose the latter option and tailored the segmentation scheme accordingly.

The stat panel employs symmetrically arrayed 15-segment wire stators driven sequentially from the panel centerline outward to function as a line source projecting a cylindrical wave-front. This works amazingly well; giving wide, smooth-trending dispersion.

Load/Impedance: The RC line which curves the wave front also linearizes the impedance and renders it predominantly resistive, as only the capacitance of the first two wire groups is reflected back to the amp. I wouldn't know this myself; but it was explained to me by a very smart ESL guru that this scheme also reduces the phase rotation of the impedance reflecting back to the amp, which helps keep the amp stable (i.e from going into oscillation).

Woofer/Panel Integration:
The matching dipole radiation patterns of the excellent OB mounted Eminence KappaLite 3012LF woofer and the stat panel merge seamlessly to sound like a single, coherent driver-- the best integration I've heard in a hybrid ESL.

Reliability:
The wood lattice supported wire stators are less impact-tolerant than perf metal stators and must be handled accordingly. Otherwise; they are highly arc resistant resistant and therefore unlikely to be harmed by even crazy-loud volume levels. Even with no protection circuitry, the upgraded electronics interface has also proven to be reliable. Over the past five years I've built seven pairs for myself and audio pals, and all are working fine.

How long will the diaphragm coating last? I can vouch for 5 years so far-- but I'll get back to you on that in about 10 years if I'm blessed to still be here.

My website with build photos & write-ups for the Jazzman MkIII speaker: http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/?m=0

Jazzman MkIII photo:
ESL .jpg

Last edited:

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Great summary. Every once in awhile I find myself daydreaming about taking my ML Classic 9's apart and moving the rear LF driver (since it is only a active below 80 Hz and my system crossover renders it totally unused) or equivalent Low-Mid cone driver up topside to form a big M-T-M (or W-T-W) design, just to see how it sounds. So far, I always wake up and stop myself and go on enjoy the addictive sound quality as is.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Nice design, too, would love to hear them some time.

BenToronto

"...many would find their sound addictive"

Many times have I heard audiophiles say, "I can still clearly remember the first time I heard an ESL".

In my case, when I was working at Bell Labs, I attended a meeting of the New York audio society in Manhattan. Playing was a speaker composed of an AR-3 woofer (or clone) and Jensen ESL panels (XO around 500 Hz). Around 1967, give or take.

With just those little ESL panels and the high crossover and whatever other shortcomings, the sound was so astonishingly clear, the audience of very sophisticated audiophiles all but gasped.

So, after my big Bozaks, I finally got a case of ESL panels from Mike Wright (Dayton-Wright) around 1976, and with some fancy Dayton-Wright speakers in the years in-between, right now I am again playing those original 1976 DIY panels (XO 130 Hz).

And I am still astonished.

BTW, folks say the same sort of thing about motional feedback.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Awesome stuff there Jazzman... love it. That Beam Splitter you built is impressive and very interesting.

I'm a fan of Roger Sanders for sure... and I've had several interesting conversations with him over the years. Own a pair of his Magtech amps now. I had his ESLs in my room many years ago but never could get them to sound right, simply because, at the time, I did not know what I was doing with speaker setup. I've learned much about speaker placement in my room since then (thanks to Wayne, who has visited on many occasions). I now have the ML 15A in the room... best sound ever... biased (absolutely), prejudiced (yep, other speaker types don't have a chance), addicted (100% nirvana)... and all of the above is 100% deserving to myself.

I wish I had the time, energy, and motivation to build a set, as I would certainly save a bundle, but the time is my major constraint. Thankfully, I am extremely happy with what I have now, and I don't worry about anyone else in the room... only my one seat matters. I'll share the seat in rotation... but 350 days out of the year, I'm the only one in the room.

I still like to evaluate and experiment with other speakers. I'd love to try some other ESL brands out there at some point.

BenToronto

Since we are all dreaming now about ideal systems, the great advance of Sanders was the Sanders amp. It provides high voltage signals to the ESL speakers instead of going through yucky transformers. I'd rate it up there alongside motional feedback at the best you can do.

I ran an amp based on Sanders concept for a decade or so and never had better sounds. Also provides a quick and convenient way to end your life, if you should so choose to pass on electrically without the nuisance of having to murder someone in Idaho. Sold it to a one-armed fellow with no children in the house (kidding about the one-arm and if you don't understand the joke, you shouldn't build a Sanders amp).

A few attempts to sell high voltage commercial systems - such as Beveridge - but very tricky when you have drunk amateurs using it. Likewise, motional feedback is tricky to make work commercially. Both systems work just fine for the DIY crowd who know what they are doing, as I can testify.

B.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Sanders removed the voltage rail from one channel on each of my Magtech amps, effectively making each amp a mono amp, and thus dedicated the full voltage to one channel instead of two. Not that it is needed with these amps, but still pretty neat.

BenToronto

Afraid I didn't understand that. How can you remove the voltage from a voltage rail? Isn't "an amp" always a mono amp? Can you explain more fully and/or different words. Thanks.
B.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Afraid I didn't understand that. How can you remove the voltage from a voltage rail? Isn't "an amp" always a mono amp? Can you explain more fully and/or different words. Thanks.
B.
I have the stereo amps. Roger removed one of the rail fuses that is feeding the unused channel. There are four of them (two in series for each module) located on the inside of the amp, on the power supply board, near each amplifier module. This causes all of the power in a Magtech's massive, regulated power supply will be available to drive just one amplifier module instead of having two amplifier modules sharing it. Probably not needed, but done nonetheless.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I saw a fugitive tech from DEC blow two inches off the end of a pretty beefy phillips screwdriver using the one arm technique on a DEC TU78 tape drive... Good thing he was wearing rubber souled shoes... Quite the experience being that I was standing slightly behind him...

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
I saw a fugitive tech from DEC blow two inches off the end of a pretty beefy phillips screwdriver using the one arm technique on a DEC TU78 tape drive... Good thing he was wearing rubber souled shoes... Quite the experience being that I was standing slightly behind him...
Might have to change my britches after one of those incidents.

Top Bottom