DIY Hidden film screen project (kind of techy but fun).

Discussion in 'Projectors and Projection Screens' started by Stefan63, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Stefan63

Stefan63 New Member

I'm in progress of building a stealth home cinema and now I have come to the screen.
    Its a standard motorised film but in my room I also needed it to move sideways.
    Also I want it to disappear on top of a shallow bookshelf that is covering a full wall.
    The whole thing is controlled with a Android/IOS IoT app called Blynk and runs on a Arduino/ESP8266/Raspberry PI combo.
    If this sounds fun you can find the complete story and all the code at stockholmviews.com free to use free to spread free to develop and change :o)
    [​IMG]

https://www.stockholmviews.com/wp/stealth-home-cinema-screen/

Grayson Dere likes this.
  2. mechman

mechman Senior Admin
    Staff Member

This seems like a really cool project!

3. Grayson Dere

Grayson Dere Moderator
    Staff Member

This is really cool, Stefan! Do you have to find a special motor that can be read by the Arduino for the sideways movement?
    I've never seen a sideways action film screen so this is very unique and interesting : )

4. Stefan63

Stefan63 New Member

No I use a regular linear 12V DC actuator for greenhouse ventilation. Check out my website to get all the details, I will post a simple animation in the near future that will show the linkage function.

Kind regards/Stefan

Grayson Dere likes this.
  5. Stefan63

Stefan63 New Member

I recently got some nice feedback from people that have visited my website that I want to share.
    Some people suggest that the same rig and software could be used to hide a TV by lower it behind a cabinet using rails and this actuator system.
    An other suggestion was to use the actuator to move a cloth or other decoration to cover the TV when not in use or why not a cinema curtain.
    The use for this project certainly do have multiple uses :)
    What's your usage idé?