Despite Challenges, CEDIA 2021 Will Happen; AXPONA Cancels 2021 Show

full?d=1629752710.png

(August 23, 2021) With hopes that 2021 would reinvigorate the trade show landscape, rising COVID-19 positivity rates have severely hampered a return to pre-pandemic normalcy. CEDIA, the global trade association for companies that design, manufacture, and integrate technology in the home, is set to host its annual expo in just ten days. As of a month ago, a majority of big-name regulars were registered to exhibit. That list, however, began to crumble when Savant announced its intention to withdraw from the event on August 10. Soon after, Sony, Samsung, Sound United, Sonos, AudioQuest, Wisdom Audio, Panamorph, StormAudio, Trinnov, Lutron, Seymour-Screen Excellence, JVC, and 48 other companies pulled out.

CEDIA's response has been respectful and level-headed, extending support to those companies with altered plans while encouraging safe practices for those still attending. Despite rumors of an impending event cancellation, CEDIA Expo 2021 has announced its intention to still hold court from September 1-3 in Indianapolis, Indiana. AV NIRVANA will monitor AXPONA remotely, with coverage of a host of exciting product launches from some of the industry's biggest names in home theater.

The situation up the road in Schaumburg, Illinois, is quite different. Today, Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) announced its October 2021 show is officially canceled, citing the adverse effects of the Delta variant on "consumer travel behavior and corporate travel decisions."

"Exhibitors and attendees travel to AXPONA from throughout the United States and from more than 40 other countries. Over the last few weeks, citing concerns over personal health, the unpredictability of international travel restrictions and reinstated companywide travel bans, many community members have told us they are unwilling or unable to commit to AXPONA in October," explained a recent letter from Liz Miller Smith (Event Director, JD Events) and Mark Freed (VP Sales, JD Events).

In response, AXPONA is moving its 2021 expo to April 22-24, 2022, while maintaining solidarity with similar shows that still plan to host events during 2021.

"[We] have worked with our Renaissance Schaumburg venue partner to return AXPONA to its traditional spring timeframe in 2022, April 22–24, and we secured future dates from April 14-16, 2023 and April 12- 14, 2024. We look forward to full participation in April with over 200 listening rooms, the Ear Gear Experience, Record Fair, Expo Hall, live concerts, networking events and so much more fun for audio gear buyers and sellers from all over the world to safely enjoy," explained Smith and Freed.

"Lastly, we support other industry gatherings that go ahead this fall as planned. We believe business and consumer events can be successfully held during these times so long as responsible health and safety measures are implemented and adhered to. In fact, we look forward to seeing many of you at some of these upcoming events soon."

AV NIRVANA will continue to monitor the audio and home theater show landscape and will pass along more information as it becomes available.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I wasn't going anyway, but it doesn't surprise me. COVID has really spiked in our area as well.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It’s a bummer… I just canceled my travel plans to CEDIA. I was on the fence, just because it draws from all over the US. But, once the big boys started canceling, it made the decision easier.

CES has released a statement that proof of vaccination will be required to attend in 2022, and per Vegas’s current recommendation, masks will likely be required. For me, personally, the international draw to that show makes it a no-go this time around. Although, I have a hard time believing that many international guests will be making the trip.

Also, Capital Audiofest is still on schedule for Nov 5-7. Masks required per Montgomery County, MD mandate. I might attend depending on positivity rates.

Stay safe!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I have a hard enough time hearing folks that aren't wearing a mask, so anything requiring a mask is a no-go for me. I've had the one-shot vaccination, so I'm not as concerned for myself, although I realize nothing is going to provide full protection outside of a hazmat suit. I just can't see participating in the shows if everyone is having to wear the mask, but I also understand they are doing it for everyone's protection, and probably the wise thing to do.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm in the same boat as you, Sonnie. I holding conversations with a mask is tough. I'm fine with throwing a mask on – we've had a mandate for months. I'd rather error on being safe. But, spending 8 hours at a show with a mask on doesn't sound pleasant (at all). I can wait until next year.

What a mess.

Top Bottom