Additional Amp
Topping L70
DAC
Topping E70
Front Speakers
JBL Stage A130
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
I apologize for a completely noob question.

I've bot a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic. It detects properly with windows and I've downloaded the calibration file and gave it to REW. Is it normal that the input level is so low, that I get warnings from REW about being to quiet? The input level is set to max in Windows and to 1.0 in REW. It reads something when I make measurements, but I'm not sure that it is correct. The speakers volume is almost deafening but SPL meter in REW shows something about 36 dB and I have to almost touch the speaker with mic for it to change significantly. Is it a normal behavior for a USB mic, am I doing something wrong or is it a symptom of a defective mic?

ingvarr

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Topping PA3s
Additional Amp
Topping L70
DAC
Topping E70
Front Speakers
JBL Stage A130
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
Never play the test signals at a level you can't comfortably listen to.

No. Have you selected the UMM-6 as the input in REW? Best post a screenshot of your REW soundcard preferences.
It is selected and it's working to some degree, but it behaves like it has very low sensitivity. If I press "Check levels: i t shows around -72.5 dBFS. If place it directly near the woofer so it almost touches it, it changes to around -71 dBFS.
1708294185081.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Any difference if you select "L" as the input channel?

Are you on Windows? If so have you tried selecting the device entries that start "EXCL" to use WASAPI Exclusive drivers?

ingvarr

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Topping PA3s
Additional Amp
Topping L70
DAC
Topping E70
Front Speakers
JBL Stage A130
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
Any difference if you select "L" as the input channel?

Are you on Windows? If so have you tried selecting the device entries that start "EXCL" to use WASAPI Exclusive drivers?
Both switching between L and R and Exclusive mode make no difference, I've managed to get "Level OK" in measurement window after applying +20 dB gain in Equalizer APO, but now I'm getting "distortion is too high" warning (88%) and this kind of graph without bass (though it's very audible):
1708295417468.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Any better at 48 kHz? I don't have a UMM-6 so can't offer much practical help, sorry, but others have used them without issues.

ManCaveAudio

Staff member
I apologize for a completely noob question.

I've bot a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic. It detects properly with windows and I've downloaded the calibration file and gave it to REW. Is it normal that the input level is so low, that I get warnings from REW about being to quiet? The input level is set to max in Windows and to 1.0 in REW. It reads something when I make measurements, but I'm not sure that it is correct. The speakers volume is almost deafening but SPL meter in REW shows something about 36 dB and I have to almost touch the speaker with mic for it to change significantly. Is it a normal behavior for a USB mic, am I doing something wrong or is it a symptom of a defective mic?
I have UMM-6. I never face this Issue. Can you share your set-up pics and REW snap shots?

Top Bottom