Custom EQ driver?

vtgearhead

Registered
I have a rather obscure ProEl Digicurve equalizer with a well-documented MIDI API. The unit can function in graphic or parametric EQ mode. Is it feasible for me to code a custom EQ driver for this unit? I'm a (retired) software engineer with expert-level Java coding skills. Not clear if source code for REW (or perhaps just the EQ driver as a dynamically loaded class?) is available.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW is closed source. If there is an equaliser setting amongst those already implemented that matches the filter shapes of your equaliser (check by making loopback measurements and trying the same filter settings in the available options) you could code up something that takes the REW filter text export file and sends the settings over Midi, Java has a Midi package to handle Midi comms though it doesn't always seem reliable, not clear whether that is an issue on the Java side or the particular devices. There are probably easier ways to implement Midi comms without the JRE overhead though.

vtgearhead

Registered
Sure, understood. Just for the record, here's the manual for the DigiCurve. Almost no one seems to have heard of the unit and the company has apparently disowned it :-). MIDI API description starts on the ninth page.

I would use Python to implement a MIDI translator for the filter output file. The 'mido' module has proven quite reliable and I've already used it for several projects.

Attachments

• DigiCurve_User.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Top Bottom