Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete 11th Season

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

Movie

Larry David is widely considered one of the longest running comedic sitcom geniuses out there. He was one of the two brains behind Seinfeld (probably THE most successful sitcom of all time) and has gone on to produce countless shows, as well as star, produce and write his own show in the form of Curb Your Enthusiasm, where he plays a crazy and over the top version of himself. Filled with guest stars, cameos, and Larry David galore, the 11 series behomoth matches Frasier for being one of the longest running sitcoms and still continues to pump out content.

Once again we’re back with Larry and his penchant for getting wound up over the slightest thing. This time he’s trying to work on a new TV series about his childhood, and runs into a few hiccups when he’s blackmailed into hiring young lady with NO acting experience as the lead character in his show. Then of course there’s a robbery on his property, legal problems due to being blackmailed, and having to change the laws when criminals come onto your property and get hurt. Basically one more day in the life of Larry David.

I’m honestly flabbergasted at how funny the show has managed to remain. A lot of that is due to Larry David himself and his comedic timing, but also his ability to choose guest stars who ham it up to level 11. Even though the show has taken a huge hiatus from it’s 20+ year old start, it has managed to be continually funny and proof that good shows shouldn’t die. Even if they’re past their “prime” so to speak.

As I mentioned, Guest stars are a mile deep, with Albert Brooks, Jon Hamm, Woody Harrelson, Josh Gad, Seth Rogen, Bill Hader, Tracey Ullman, Vince Vaughn, Patton Oswalt, Lucy Liu, and MANY more. It’s silly, it’s stupid, but it’s just plain HBO fun with Larry David. I love the show simply because it’s so easy to put down and then come back to like an old worn book and pick up right where you left off.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4stars:
Spread across 2 DVD-9s, the series looks quite good for a DVD (man it’s been a while since I’ve sat down and popped a DVD in). The series has never been a real looker, but it’s as simplistic multi-cam comedy show and doesn’t need a whole lot. The 1.78:1 framed image is bright and cheerful, with plenty of color pop, but also a little bit of haloing and some minor blocking issues. Otherwise this is a perfectly acceptable DVD release.

Audio: :4stars:
The same can be said for the audio score. With no extras and just one Dolby Digital 5.1 mix it’s not bad at all. Dialog is the main focus of the show and stays clean and clear as always. It’s a bit light on the LFE channel mind you, and the surrounds don’t get a TON of love, but within the confines of a basic sitcom style everything sounds clear and clean as can be.

Extras:

Final Score: :3.5stars:

I still can’t believe Curb Your Enthusiasm is still on after 11 years. I sort of lost track of the last couple of seasons before covid started, so I binge watched the last couple years to get caught up and am still pleasantly surprised with Larry David being the comic genius that he is. I WAS a bit saddened that we didn’t get a Blu-ray considering that it’s an HD show on HBO Max, but with TV show sales the way they are, I’m happy with what we can get. The show still gives me a chuckle after over a decade of material, so well worth checking out if you’re a long time watcher.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Larry David, Cheryl David, Jeff Garlin, Susie Essman
Created by: Larry David
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 MPEG 2
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: NR
Runtime: 373 Minutes
DVD Release Date: June 21st 2022

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I haven't watched this show in years, but enjoyed the first 7 seasons or so. It's interesting as a Seinfeld fan, because you can see the characters of Jerry and George in Larry David's personality.

His humor and view of the world is one in a million.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I never saw this series. I do like Seinfeld so will have to see this from season 1.

Top Bottom