Crown XLS-1002 filter frequencies?

Greg Dunn

I'm looking for a basic amp to power a Dayton Ultimax 18 sub (long story - I've had 2 defective copies of their P-E SPA1200 amps and want an amp I can depend on). The Crown XLS-1002 in bridge mode looks like a good match but there are questions which aren't answered either in the specs or in the user manual. Specifically, what values can you set the LPF to? I'll get an external filter if I must, but if I can set the internal filter to cut off at a low enough frequency, I can manage without one. I'll be feeding it from a full range source and would like to restrict the amp to a range from below 20 to say 50-60 Hz. My HPF on the existing 2-way crossover is infinitely selectable, so I can do what I need there to make them line up. Ideally a three-way crossover would be nice, but again I'd rather minimize the amount of hardware I have to buy.

There's a bunch of vague info all over the net saying that you can set the internal filter to 30 Hz, some say 50 Hz, and one source indicates one of several frequencies at 1.5 octave selectable values (which it doesn't name). Crown is silent - at least in the manuals or on their website. It seems odd that such an important piece of data isn't publicly available. Can anyone who owns one help?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer

Page 8 of the manual:

“The PureBand Crossover System provides a variable state Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave filter allowing you to choose a point between 30Hz and 3kHz on standard 1/12th octave centers. Three filter types are available: Low Pass, High Pass and Band Pass.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg Dunn

That's interesting - one manual I was able to find online had the frequency limits but no spacing info, another said 1/2 octave instead of 1/12 octave, and one review said the low end was 50 Hz. There must be more than one revision of the manual or perhaps typos from people attempting to transcribe them. Thanks for finding that!

I assume that you can still set a filter in bridge mode - my manual hints that you can get to the crossover menu to view status but, unlike stereo and Input-Y modes, doesn't specifically say "filters are available."

Greg Dunn

FYI, I ended up scoring a lightly used XLS-1500 for less than the price of an XLS-1002. This model for certain allows the filters in bridge mode, so the search is over.

Top Bottom