Crossover Design in Vituix

Kerr Forrest

Registered
I am designing a crossover using Vituix for a 2-way bass reflex speaker design and am somewhat unsure on which woofer frequency response I should import and use when designing the crossover.

I have the infinite baffle response provided by the manufacturer as well as a simulated response I made of the woofer while placed in the bass reflex cabinet using Vituix's enclosure simulation tool. My assumption was to use the simulated in-cabinet response since this is obviously closer to how the driver will actually behave, however I am finding a large (+6dB) boost centred around 50Hz in the crossover simulation response (note that the both the Fs of the woofer and the port tuning is 30Hz). This way not be related to using the in-cabinet woofer frequency response, but it got me wondering this is interfering with the simulation; I am still playing about the the crossover design so it could be something in there which is causing the issue.

If anyone can advise me on whether to use the infinite baffle woofer response or continue with my bass reflex simulated response when designing a crossover in Vituix I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
Kerr.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
I have to agree with "jmpsmash" since the room will play a big roll in the outcome I would test the driver and use the resulted curve and work from there.
All other measurement are irrelevant in the room your are placing the driver in.

Kerr Forrest

Registered
I have to agree with "jmpsmash" since the room will play a big roll in the outcome I would test the driver and use the resulted curve and work from there.
All other measurement are irrelevant in the room your are placing the driver in.

Hi there CA Audiophile, thanks for the feedback.

My design is actually academic, for my engineering masters degree project, and I unfortunately haven't been able to build any kind of prototype without workshop access thanks to covid, so my design is purely theoretical, hence the reliance on simulations. I was fortunately able to take measurements using a Yamaha HS7 studio monitor as a source to help identify room modes and boundary interference using REW, but of course this is only relevant for how the room would affect my theoretical speaker if it was used there. For the design of my loudspeaker I'm just going by the simulations I can produce (such as Vituix) and discussing in my report how I would actually test the real version if I made it in the future (I understand this is probably infuriating for experienced speaker builders but I'm working with what I've got! haha).

Also, as a moderator, would you please move these messages into here https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/crossover-design-in-vituix.7988/ as when I first made this thread I accidentally made it in the non-DIY speakers forum, so I started that duplicate thread [link] in the DIY section. If not possible could you just delete this thread? To avoid the confusion of two identical threads.

Cheers,
Kerr.

Top Bottom