Pro-ject Phono Box RS
Front Speakers
Klipsch La Scala
Streaming Equipment
Bluesound Vault
Other Equipment
Turntable
Good evening all!

I'm new to REW and the forum in general, I have been on a steep learning curve over the last few weeks after installing Fusion FA123 Plate amps to my La Scala 3 way speakers.

Having dialled in a basic crossover, I now have some in-room frequency response graphs which I have loaded in to the EQ section and I am attempting to get some EQ Filters to upload to the amps using the Hypex HFD software.

I am wondering what is best practice when it comes to creating EQ Filters, is it best to initially create and apply broad filters covering the full frequnecy range and then dial in each driver inidividually within its given frequency range?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated and I am sure I will be along quite ofter with many more silly questions so I will apologise in advance! :)

ATB
Simon.

Shonver

Registered
I don't know what the specific capabilities of your DSP power amps are but - generally speaking - this would be my approach:

As a start, the DSP would ideally have a crossover section (3-way in your case) plus a system EQ. Edit 2: some DSPs have "system EQ" as multiple, selectable voicings/room curves.

With system EQ disabled, I would develop a crossover that uses the drivers optimally for the specific loudspeaker type. This includes applying the appropriate equalisation, time delays and filters for each driver section. This should give you an essentially good loudspeaker, assuming that all other considerations have been addressed. (But in your case, you are "activating" an existing speaker, so work with what you have).

Place your speakers in-room as per your preference (ideally apply appropriate acoustic treatments first) and proceed to measure your system response as per utilities provided in REW. Now use your system EQ to dial in your preferred room curve.

Edit 1: Using this approach makes your speaker more compatible with various environments. You can move it to a new room and elect to use the speaker without the dedicated room EQ or define a new room EQ for that setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom