Could you analyze my very first room acoustic measurement?

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
Hello, newbie about room acoustic!

I am planning on treating my 3.6m x 4.6m x 2.6m (height) room and I just had a go at analyzing my room acoustics with REW.

here is the graph and unfortunately I only have sm57 dynamic mic so, I just gave it a go.

Could you see big issues that I need to be aware of?!

also bear in mind my current mobile studio monitors do not go below 40hz i think.

I am planning on getting genelec 8330a for my room. It has a very nice feature that helps adjusting room eq. (GLM)

How should I attack my room first of all...?! I am also planning on mixing in this room.

Thank you in advance, all.

Attachments

• 21-8-2021 sm57 1st measure.jpg
    21-8-2021 sm57 1st measure.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 89

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Change your graph scale (using the limits button top right of the graph) so it goes from 30 dB at the bottom to 90 dB at the top. Attach the mdat file for the measurement (you may need to wait a little while or make further posts to add attachments).

EarlK

John,

Respectfully;

Since REW already keeps track of "made" measurements, how about including ( within the users Preferences tab ) a check box area that disallows//discourages//denies "New Users" from having the ability of changing ( squashing ) vertical scales ( to no more than 70db ) .

Some arbitrary threshold number ( maybe 10 measurements made & saved ) could be applied for keeping this rule in place ( then auto-magically disappearing past the thresh-hold ).

This feature would ( hopefully ) deter//slow-down the new user from following their own base instincts at creating flat-lines from the ( actual ) meaningful squiggles ( and therefore forcing a quicker embracing of acoustic reality ).

More Nanny State!

:)

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
Change your graph scale (using the limits button top right of the graph) so it goes from 30 dB at the bottom to 90 dB at the top. Attach the mdat file for the measurement (you may need to wait a little while or make further posts to add attachments).
Thank you, sorry for providing with limited information and not-so-helpful graph. I will again, provide better images. (Please bear in mind, this is my very first time trying to measure my room acoustic with budget studio monitors (freq. response: 80-10kHz).

I will update real soon.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
John,

Respectfully;

Since REW already keeps track of "made" measurements, how about including ( within the users Preferences tab ) a check box area that disallows//discourages//denies "New Users" from having the ability of changing ( squashing ) vertical scales ( to no more than 70db ) .

Some arbitrary threshold number ( maybe 10 measurements made & saved ) could be applied for keeping this rule in place ( then auto-magically disappearing past the thresh-hold ).

This feature would ( hopefully ) deter//slow-down the new user from following their own base instincts at creating flat-lines from the ( actual ) meaningful squiggles ( and therefore forcing a quicker embracing of acoustic reality ).

More Nanny State!

I will re-post correct images again. (haha noop here, please bear in mind!) Sorry :)

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
I reopened my rough measurement record and zoomed in for better analysis. Changed Y axis to dBFS so I understand better. but I think my room has many issues. How shall I attack this? thanks!

I am planning to purchase treatments for first reflections and also dense bass traps, also DSP monitor speakers (so it can adjust after measuring).

What would you say, the biggest problem of my room? How would you resolve to get the most out of it? I guess, my room, to start with, can never be perfected.. since it is a fairly small room... (4.23m x 3.6m x 2.4m)

The more I study, the more stress haha

thanks!

Attachments

• zoomed measurement of untreated my room.jpg
    zoomed measurement of untreated my room.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 82
  • spectogram 23-8-2021.jpg
    spectogram 23-8-2021.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 78
  • waterfall 23-8-2021.jpg
    waterfall 23-8-2021.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 62

EarlK

One can get a good set of guidelines ( for 2-chnl audio ) by reading through the attached pdf file ( it's written by 2 acousticians ).

Embrace it's suggested metrics as targets for your own situation.

( Yes, you'll want to treat your listening room somewhat )

Attachments

• AMS for Stereo List. Rms.zip
    2 MB · Views: 53

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
One can get a good set of guidelines ( for 2-chnl audio ) by reading through the attached pdf file ( it's written by 2 acousticians ).

Embrace it's suggested metrics as targets for your own situation.

( Yes, you'll want to treat your listening room somewhat )

Thanks! Earl. Do you think bass treatment would be the most important to kick off?

EarlK

Have you eliminated environmental noise pollution as the possible source of these ( ultra ) strong resonances seen at @ 40 + 50 hz ??
- Simply open the RTA window with a test mic but no test signal and look at the room noise curve ( using max resolution > such as 1/48th smoothing )

waterfall-23-8-2021-jpg.jpg

What-ever the source of those two strong modes >> you won't be able to deal with them yourself ( excepting by paying professionals to deal with them >> mere home-built Bass control corner chunks won't come close to dealing with that much excess energy ).

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
As it is 50,100 and 400 Hz narrow peaks, i bet those have not an acoustic but an electric origin, your system picks up hum somewhere.

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
Have you eliminated environmental noise pollution as the possible source of these ( ultra ) strong resonances seen at @ 40 + 50 hz ??
- Simply open the RTA window with a test mic but no test signal and look at the room noise curve ( using max resolution > such as 1/48th smoothing )

View attachment 44593

What-ever the source of those two strong modes >> you won't be able to deal with them yourself ( excepting by paying professionals to deal with them >> mere home-built Bass control corner chunks won't come close to dealing with that much excess energy ).

Ah.. ok! actually my test was not legit cause I did it with sm57 dynamic mic. I am getting proper tester with proper omni mic. I guess it is really really difficult to treat in my small home studio room... Do you think it would be smarter to invest on sonarworks OR DSP powered smart studio monitors 'and' a decent reference headphone...? because, I cannot perfect this anyway by treating right...? What would be a smart way to win some and lose some...?I am not so sure about those strong resonances around 40~50 Hz.... to be honest........ slightly shocked... is it normal...?

John Shin

More  
Computer Audio
Mac Mini
DAC
RME UFX mk1
Front Speakers
Genelec 8330a
As it is 50,100 and 400 Hz narrow peaks, i bet those have not an acoustic but an electric origin, your system picks up hum somewhere.
Ah.. oki! I tested with my eris 3.5 3inch small monitor speakers and sm57 <--- so... this test will not do much justice I think... I am getting my main monitors soon and also that monitors have testing kit called GLM.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I am not so sure about those strong resonances around 40~50 Hz.... to be honest........ slightly shocked... is it normal...?

Could be something in your home - HVAC system, for example. As suggested above, use the RTA feature in REW and see if you can capture it without your seystem engaged.

Top Bottom