Could someone please have a look

Nebulator

I added a measurement I made. I hear some distortion around midrange sometimes, mostly on loudly played piano parts. I made the measurement and saved it but looking at these graphs I have no idea what to look for. I tried to find the frequency with the tone generator to see if I can reproduce the problem but it only happens with music. I hear it during the sweep too, mostly on the right channel it sounds 'dirty' around 60-65% sweep.

Is it oke to ask for someone more knowledgable to look at it and tell me what I am looking at, if that is something we can actually see from the graphs. There is clarity and distortion but even with the help and guides, I'm not sure what I am looking at exactly.

Thank in advance!

Attachments

• NEW.zip
    769 bytes · Views: 14

Nebulator

Haha I thought the file was awefully small :redgrin:. I'll check when I get home.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is significantly more distortion on the right channel between 500 and 1500 Hz.

distortion.png

Nebulator

Thank you.

But I'm probaly not reading that graph correctly, I see distortion everywhere, especially below 100 Hz and above 2000 Hz. Am I reading that correct? What are acceptable figures?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is always distortion, and it usually rises significantly at low frequencies. In the graph below it is shown relative to the response level as a percentage. You can get an idea of typical speaker distortion levels from the measurements at SoundStage, above 200 Hz or so would generally expect distortion to be below 1% at the levels used. Take note of the level and the distance, distortion rises with level and level drops with distance, to compare levels with those in SoundStage you should measure at similar levels and at a similar distance.

distortion2.png

Nebulator

Thanks.

I did get a new pair of speakers installed over the weekend since the other pair isn't worth repairing. I'll make new measurements.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You could use shorter sweeps when you do, a 256k sweep is generally sufficient for speaker distortion measurements, no need to use 2M.

Nebulator

New measurements, I think this looks a lot better, could you have another look for me please?

Besides some distortion around 90 Hz, I think this looks much better doesn't it?

So in general, how does it look? Is there anything noteworthy looking into? This a set Magnepan 3.6R.

Not sure this is the place to ask, but are there people/company's who can help make room adjustments?

Attachments

• maggies.mdat
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom