Computer system-level EQ affecting tests?

robbnj

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
This idea popped into my head while I was trying to get some sleep at 3AM (1st world problems, eh?). I tried using the advanced search function here to see if it has been mentioned, but haven't found anything:
Does the REW software bypass all internal audio processing done by Windows (or any other OS) when sending the test tones out via HDMI?

I moved all my stuff over to a new laptop and have been using that to do testing of a new sub and to dial in my mains a little better. I'm confident I had disabled all Windows "enhancements" when I installed the OS, but I have also subsequently installed Equalizer APO and the Peace EQ add-on for headphone use.
I am fairly confident I turned Peace off when testing, but there is now that haunting concern that it was enabled, and maybe affecting the test sweep output by REW...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Does the REW software bypass all internal audio processing done by Windows (or any other OS) when sending the test tones out via HDMI?
If you use ASIO drivers or the WASAPI Exclusive Java drivers (device names starting EXCL) processing should be bypassed. If you use the regular Java drivers processing will be active unless disabled elsewhere.

robbnj

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
If you use ASIO drivers or the WASAPI Exclusive Java drivers (device names starting EXCL) processing should be bypassed. If you use the regular Java drivers processing will be active unless disabled elsewhere.
PRETTY confident all of the drivers on both the output and the input side show as "EXCL" when I go in there (to verify the calibration files are loaded), but I guess I have a new reason to play around with the system this weekend and be sure.

Thanks John!

Top Bottom