Movie: :2.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :halfstar:
Final Score: :2.5stars:

1.jpg
]
Movie

I’ve noticed that the Well Go USA’s “Hi-yah!” original films have been sort of hit or miss for me recently. I’m a huge, HUGE supporter of Well Go USA in their efforts to be one of the few indie studios to bring in original Asian cinema in large numbers, and I have about 2/3rds of their entire catalog in my collection as a result. Like anything in movie land, not every Asian film is some masterpiece, but generally most are to my liking that come across. The Hi-yah! Service is basically Well Go USA’s streaming service, and have produced (or at least helmed the stateside release in large part) original content ala most of the other streaming networks. AND, like most of the streaming networks original film content, the feature films range from decent, to down right terrible. Code of the Assassins sadly belongs in the “meh” category, with a mediocre plot, sometimes near incomprehensible scripting, and both over and under developed characters wrapped up in some cool period piece fights.

The film opens up with a text scrawl narrating “Ghost Valley”, a mysterious and hidden location where a group of deadly assassins live and train. In this particular world assassins were a way to “solve problems” (according to the narrative scrawl) and young swordsman Qi Jun Yuan is just graduating from said prestigious guild. While Qi Jun is just as deadly as his brethren, he doesn’t share the same sense of cruelty and cold bloodedness that his counterparts share, and unfortunately fails his first real assignment. This results in the trained hunter becoming the hunted, trying to evade his former colleagues and other various clans as he tries to stay alive. Simultaneously there is a storm brewing in the martial arts world, with varying schools vying for the top spot, and a vast conspiracy threatens to take down the entire Chinese nation if it’s not stop.

2.jpg
Daniel Lee has long been a staple of modern Chinese period piece cinema, and I was really hoping this would be one of his hits instead of misses. But sadly the script is far from engaging, with most of the characters barely given enough back story to be remotely fleshed out, while Lee spends excessive amounts of time on a few characters that really AREN’T that necessary to the plot. Action is luckily top notch, with some great bladed and hand to hand combat scenes. But I was scratching my head with the costuming and some of the dialog. Everything looks too “new” and modern, even though it’s definitely aimed as a period piece, and some of the slang used in the dialog takes you out of the mood a bit. It’s not huge, but still an annoying quirk.

Is Code of the Assassins (labeled Song of the Assassins overseas) a bad movie? Not really. It’s choppy, a bit overly simplistic plot wise for a 2 hour movie, and the dialog is pretty crummy. I did enjoy the fights though, even though we got SOME quick cut edits ala Hollywood film making. The whole close up CGI representation of all the steam punk style weapons is cool at first, but soon feels over the top and a bit superfluous. And his portrayal of everyone having a deep seeded villainous secret that results in an over the top cackling laugh makes you want to roll your eyes a bit.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4stars:
3.jpg
The 2.39:1 AVC encoded transfer for the digitally shot film (can’t tell WHAT cameras were used, just a reference to Arri Alex cameras in the credits) looks sumptuous on Blu-ray. The entire production is glossy and shiny, with a gray tinge to many outdoor shots, and light honey colored ambers with interior lighting. Fine details are exquisite throughout, with strong facial tones and details, and lovingly recreated background textures (clothing looks amazing, as does fur lined jackets where you can see every individual hair). Blacks are good, but sometimes crush a tad, and I noticed some minor banding (oh shock of all shocks) creep in every once in a while. Other than those two minor quirks, this is a great looking transfer.

Audio: :4.5stars:
4.jpg
Code of the Assassins features a really excellent 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix in the original Mandarin (no English dub for this disc) and it really shines with all of the Wuxia inspired action sequences. The surrounds are wildly active from the get go, with heavily stylized fights, ambient sounds of animals and people in the background, and softer sounds that barely register. Sub activity is pretty awesome, especially with big impact hits, and some of the scoring. It’s not going to be absolutely jaw dropping, but the 5.1 mix is very dynamic and plays with all of the action period piece tropes and weapon noises superbly. Probably the single best part of the entire movie.

Extras: :halfstar:
5.jpeg
• Trailer
• Well go USA Previews

Final Score: :2.5stars:

Code of the Assassins is fun enough for a one night rental, but is one of the weaker Hi-Yah! Exclusive films to date, and especially a weak film for Daniel Lee (his post Hong Kong films have felt a bit too rote and “soft” if you know what I mean). The Blu-ray looks and sounds AMAZING, but has the typical lack of extras found on these discs (trailers only). As I said, my recomendation is going to be a rental for most people, skip it for non Chinese film enthusiasts.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Shaofeng Feng, Jun Hu, Qing Xu, Yuming Du, Norman Chu
Directed by: Daniel Lee
Written by: Yuan Tai Chi, Daniel Lee, Ravine Yang
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: Mandarin: DTS-HD MA 5.1, Mandarin DD 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Well Go USA
Rated: NR
Runtime: 118 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: March 21st, 2023
image.png

Recommendation: Skip It

bobinuta

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Benytone X-Calibre MC4000
Main Amp
Benytone X-Calibre MA4000
Computer Audio
Asus Xonar D1 & U5
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Benytone MCD4000
Front Speakers
self made VTP (Voigt Tapered Pipes)
Other Equipment
Benytone Stereo Tuner MTU-3100
Thanks for the review, I didn't knew the movie!

Top Bottom