"Clock rate adjustment is too large" when importing sweep data

3ll3d00d

I'm recording the output of a system to a multichannel wav file then importing into REW (latest beta) using the "import Sweep" option. The system does have some inherent delay because it's a multiway setup with a matched delay subtractive crossover, I think the total system delay is in the 20ms range. The sweep is a 256k sweep so thats ~12s long, the recording of the system is the same.

When I import this into REW I get the "Clock rate adjustment is too large" message and the reported adjustment is ~126k ppm, the FR of the tweeter is also abruptly truncated for no obvious reason as per the below.

If I apply a simple crossover (i.e. something like a BW2), the measurement loads without any issues.

Given that I'm using REW to determine the response of this system, I don't have another obvious way to verify if the problem is in my filters or is some problem in REW.

Any idea?

1699043323725.png

3ll3d00d

I was about to post the recorded data but had pruned some unnecessary channels to reduce the size, I had also amplified the signal somewhat (as I was trimming it in audacity and wanted to see the waveform). I imported that back into REW to check it was ok and saw the channel was imported normally.

Hence the issue here is with misinterpretation of a signal that must be too low level to be considered a sweep?

I'm not sure how this results in a truncated FR but I wonder if it's possible to detect this case? perhaps even amplify the signal for me if I want to?

e.g.could it (optionally) account for the sweep level? aka if my sweep is -30 then add -30 before parsing it

Last edited:

3ll3d00d

actually it's not a gain issue, I ramped up the gain in the playback system all the way so that the captured trace peaks at 0dBFS

I then imported this into audacity and exported it straight back out as a wav, this version is read fine by REW so it's some file format issue perhaps?

attached back files, recorded.wav is the one out of audacity

here's what mediainfo says about them

Code:
 ~      mediainfo /media/home-media/junk/Disk\ Writer\ -\ 3\ Nov\ 20_50_58.wav                                                                                                                                                        
General
Complete name                            : /media/home-media/junk/Disk Writer - 3 Nov 20_50_58.wav
Format                                   : Wave
Format settings                          : PcmWaveformat
File size                                : 20.3 MiB
Duration                                 : 12 s 288 ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 13.8 Mb/s

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format profile                           : Float
Codec ID                                 : 3
Codec ID/Hint                            : IEEE
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 13.8 Mb/s
Channel(s)                               : 9 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Stream size                              : 20.2 MiB (100%)

~      mediainfo /media/home-media/junk/recorded.wav                                                                                                                                                                                 
General
Complete name                            : /media/home-media/junk/recorded.wav
Format                                   : Wave
Format settings                          : PcmWaveformat
File size                                : 15.2 MiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 10.4 Mb/s

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 10.4 Mb/s
Channel(s)                               : 9 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 15.2 MiB (100%)

Attachments

• recorded.wav
    15.2 MB

3ll3d00d

another oddity, I can't upload the file, it uploads and gets stuck at 100% but won't actually accept it (but doesn't error).

file can be downloaded via this link

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Likely to be problematic since the crossover will be removing or altering the acoustic timing reference. Why not just make a normal measurement with a loopback timing ref?

3ll3d00d

Why not just make a normal measurement with a loopback timing ref?
my usual audio device is out of action so have fallen back to my RME Fireface 800 which I've never been able to get working in a REW -> RME -> JRiver -> RME multiclient chain

I don't see how it can be the timing ref causing an issue when simply opening it in audacity and saving to a new wav means it can be imported without issue, it seems to imply there is something specific to the format of the 1st wav that is causing a problem for REW.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The channels cannot be processed properly if the first input channel doesn't have the timing reference signals. Those look to be on channel 5 of your file. You didn't attach the sweep file so I can't try importing them as sweeps, but the file loads without issue as imported audio data.

3ll3d00d

the measurement signal is attached

The channels cannot be processed properly if the first input channel doesn't have the timing reference signals.
ok I didn't know that but it still doesn't explain how simply opening in audacity and exporting as a wav with the same channel mapping makes it import ok. The only apparent difference is the original is 32bit float while the exported is 24bit pcm.

Attachments

• 256kMeasSweep_2_to_24000_0_dBFS_48k_Float_L_refR.wav
    4.5 MB
Top Bottom