Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
I was trying to do some sweeps tonight using an acoustic timing reference so I can align my subs and mains, and I got an error like the one below.
I switched to a shorter HDMI cable, and still get an error in the >2,000 range. I tried running the sweep with a loopthrough cable directly from the soundcard out to the mic-in, and I'm still getting the error.

REW is set to play at 44.1KHz, and the mic input is set to record at 44.1KHz.

Any ideas?

1713672265810.png

robbnj

More  
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
What mic are you using?
At the end of my attempts last night, I wasn't using a mic at all. It was just a straight-wire loopthrough from the audio out to the mic-in on the soundcard.
Prior to that I used a PC mic modified with the same element as a UMIK, an Audyssey mic, and a Dayton IMM6.
All connected to the PC by a Creative Labs USB Tactic Alpha sound card.
REW is version 5.3

Whenever I start a new session, I do a sweep and compare the results to a reference sweep in order to confirm no radical changes to my hardware or software.
The test sweep this time aligned with the reference sweep I have.

To my knowledge, this is the first time I have attempted sweeps with a time reference. (I don't recall ever hearing the chirps or enabling the function).

EDIT TO ADD: I dug out my old behemoth laptop and tried the same loopthrough test using the same Creative Labs soundcard and REW version 5.31. The test worked just fine, so have to attribute it to this newer laptop, either in the software or how it handles the USB ports (the soundcard was the only USB device connected).
I also did fresh installs of both the 32 and 64 bit versions of REW. No change.
Technology is a blast.

Last edited:

robbnj

More  
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
And....it has something to do with REW version 5.31 on this newer laptop.
I tried several older versions, all the way to 5.30.9, and do not get the timing error when using the loopthrough setup.
It's still there even on a fresh install of 5.31.
Odd

robbnj

More  
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
Are you using the WASAPI exclusive Java drivers (device names starting EXCL)?
Yes. Before each test, I go into the device list and close out all devices except the specific one I want to get used. The list seems to populate itself pretty quickly, often with duplicates of devices.
I'm not sure if it matters that the others are listed there, but I just figured better safe than sorry.

1713753231363.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
They won't be duplicates, there will be differences - e.g. default output on a device rather than named output. There is no benefit from removing them. Try running everything at 48k.

robbnj

More  
Denon
Main Amp
B&O icePower
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Denon
They won't be duplicates, there will be differences - e.g. default output on a device rather than named output. There is no benefit from removing them. Try running everything at 48k.
Gonna be a while before I get to play again, but I will definitely give that a try. Thank you!

Top Bottom