REW Beta Release Changes in REW V5.20 beta 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi John,
Would you also consider adding an ability to edit graph colors in the EQ Tab of the program? I think it would make it easier to describe the different graphs in cases where they have to be captured and presented elsewhere. Sometimes the original and predicted graphs share the same color like in the screenshot below.
The predicted trace is a brighter version of the measurement colour. If the colour chosen for the measurement can't get any brighter that doesn't leave the predicted anywhere to go, but none of REW's default colours have that problem.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Minor bug/annoyance. If you open the Measurement screen before you have your output device connected, you will get "the Soundcard did not provide any input data" error (as expected). However, if you click OK to dismiss the error message, it doesn't go away and you are stuck. The only recourse is to either hook up the output device (which may not be convenient), or use Task Manager to kill the REW instance.
Using ASIO I guess? I've cleaned that up for the next beta.

arnaudf92

Registered
Little annoyance:
- In a Preferences/Soundcard, with no input and output selected (ie. after a "new" soundcard selection)
- When "Measure" is clicked we get "SPL meter audio input not available". Should redirect on Preferences/Souncard tab, with a more explicit message ?

Another thing, purely cosmetic : in REW window title the version number appears with comma (5,20 beta 7) instead of dot (5.20 beta 7). It's surely related with regional settings (French in my case).
Possible solution : consider version number as a string ?

Regards.

Breeman

The predicted trace is a brighter version of the measurement colour. If the colour chosen for the measurement can't get any brighter that doesn't leave the predicted anywhere to go, but none of REW's default colours have that problem.
Yes I noticed the predicted graph is the brighter of the two, however I think what I am trying to get to is a scenario where I can completely change the colour of the predicted graph manually and independent of the original. It's not a crucial thing but offers flexibility that can be useful at times.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Little annoyance:
- In a Preferences/Soundcard, with no input and output selected (ie. after a "new" soundcard selection)
- When "Measure" is clicked we get "SPL meter audio input not available". Should redirect on Preferences/Souncard tab, with a more explicit message ?
There is a more explicit message, but it was in the title and the title was where the message should have been. Oops. Fixed it for the next beta.

Another thing, purely cosmetic : in REW window title the version number appears with comma (5,20 beta 7) instead of dot (5.20 beta 7). It's surely related with regional settings (French in my case).
Possible solution : consider version number as a string ?
Used the wrong formatter, now swapped it for one that always uses dot as delimiter.

Breeman

Hi John,

Thanks for adding useful and functional improvements to this program, it really improves what is already a great application:).

Just thought I should mention for future consideration that it would be great if you could add the ability to refresh or reset the numbering in the new "Add number" function of the "Make a measurement" screen. Often times one makes a number of measurements in batches where the numbering needs to be same in those measurement batches. Currently the numbering increments indefinitely even through program closes and restarts.

Breeman

Hi John,

Just notice that the Rleads field in the "Make a measurement" screen is unreadable and un-clickable.
Snap9.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Just thought I should mention for future consideration that it would be great if you could add the ability to refresh or reset the numbering in the new "Add number" function of the "Make a measurement" screen. Often times one makes a number of measurements in batches where the numbering needs to be same in those measurement batches. Currently the numbering increments indefinitely even through program closes and restarts.
You can change the next number that will be used in the "Next number" box.
next.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Just notice that the Rleads field in the "Make a measurement" screen is unreadable and un-clickable.
Thanks, I've fixed that for the next beta, in the meantime select No timing reference or Acoustic timing reference while on SPL measurement before selecting Impedance.

Breeman

Ho John,

When loading a mdat file with multiple measurements, they all load selected in the legend which is great. Please consider introducing an option to "Deselect All" as well.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Wow, John, what an update!

Issue: If a longer comment is added in the dialogue box for saving a picture of a plot; the word wrap does not work and the end of the sentence is cut off.

Also, a minor annoyance: If you open RTA and then Signal Generator, the RTA disappears and must be re-opened Is there a reason for the disappearance?

Breeman

Hi John,

As a feature request. It would be nice to have an option to export the equalized graph from within the EQ screen:).
Snap10.jpg

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Don't know if this is practical...

I always use the REW version that allows multiple instances to be open. Is it possible to add drag/drop or cut/copy/paste of measurements between instances?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When loading a mdat file with multiple measurements, they all load selected in the legend which is great. Please consider introducing an option to "Deselect All" as well.
Right click in the legend.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Issue: If a longer comment is added in the dialogue box for saving a picture of a plot; the word wrap does not work and the end of the sentence is cut off.
Thanks, fixed that for the next beta.

Also, a minor annoyance: If you open RTA and then Signal Generator, the RTA disappears and must be re-opened Is there a reason for the disappearance?
I don't think it will be disappearing, but clicking on the main window toolbar to open the generator brings the main window to the front, then the sig gen opens in front of that. The RTA is probably behind the main window. You can avoid bringing the main window forward by using the keyboard shortcut to open the generator (Ctrl+Shift+R).

Breeman

I was trying to re-calibrate my sound card and noticed that the field dialog box where it used to display information on the graph parameters is now empty.
Snap11.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I was trying to re-calibrate my sound card and noticed that the field dialog box where it used to display information on the graph parameters is now empty.
Thanks, fixed that for the next beta.

mihaiandrei

Registered
upload_2019-4-4_14-53-18-png.13033

I've always used it like this ... doesn't work!
tried internal mic same problem.
osx 10.14.4 (mojave)
REW 5.20 Beta 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I've always used it like this ... doesn't work!
tried internal mic same problem.
osx 10.14.4 (mojave)
REW 5.20 Beta 7
If you have a previous installation of REW (app bundle in Applications rather than REW folder in Applications) remove it and reinstall the beta version.
If you can select named inputs and outputs rather than "Default output" and "Default input" then select them.
Did you get the prompt to allow REW to access the microphone?
Is REW in the list of applications allowed access to the microphone?
What input channels appear in the list, only 1 and 2?

mihaiandrei

Registered
If you have a previous installation of REW (app bundle in Applications rather than REW folder in Applications) remove it and reinstall the beta version.
If you can select named inputs and outputs rather than "Default output" and "Default input" then select them.
Did you get the prompt to allow REW to access the microphone?
Is REW in the list of applications allowed access to the microphone?
What input channels appear in the list, only 1 and 2?

SOLVED
upload_2019-4-4_20-23-42.png

Top Bottom