Change Cal function does not adjust plot SPL

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
v5.20.4, Windows 10

Hi John, me again.

I had two Umik-1 mics set up a few inches apart and ran a number of measurements with each, exiting and restarting REW to change between the two mics (sounds like I better get a Pro license). I changed cal files each time through Preferences. I was confused to see a difference in overall amplitude between the two groups of plots of several dB, as one might see if using the wrong cal files for the two mics, which, as it turns out, I was! Heh.

When I realized that I had incorrectly "remembered" which mic was which, I used the "Change Cal" function to clear and then re-apply the correct cal file to each of the plots. The change in the frequency response was clear, but there was no shifting of the overall plot amplitude from having the mic gain corrected like I was expecting.

I re-ran the measurements with the correct cal files for each mic and the plots all grouped together nicely, as expected.

Should the Change Cal function adjust the plot SPL to compensate for mic gain change with a cal file containing a proper gain setting?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'll look into it. Applying a different sensitivity figure requires the input volume that was used when the measurement was made, the mic type it was made with and the OS which was being used. All are captured when a measurement is made, so adjusting for a different sensitivity should be possible.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Top Bottom