CES 2021: TCL Reveals Its Third Generation mini-LED Technology, an 85-Inch XL Collection, and a Wireless Soundbar!

full?d=1610737298.png

(January 15, 2021) While withholding a few surprises for this coming summer, TCL kickstarted its CES presence with several exciting product announcements. Headlining its 2021 class is an all-new collection of 85" TVs that includes one model priced under $1,600, along with a complete refresh of its innovative mini-LED backlighting technology.

TCL first introduced mini-LED backlighting in 2019, integrating it in its then-new 8-Series of Roku capable televisions. The following year, it endowed its 6-Series lineup with a second-generation mini-LED design. Now, in 2021, the company has made more improvements and rebranded the technology as "OD Zero."

According to the company, "OD Zero combines TCL's latest mini-LED backlight technology, driven by its skilled in-house development and vast expertise in display engineering, to deliver an ultra-slim display with tens of thousands of mini-LEDs and thousands of Contrast Control Zones for striking brightness, precision contrast, and smooth uniformity. The zero represents the measurement of the distance between TCL's mini-LED backlight layer and the LCD display layer, which has now been reduced to a remarkable 0 mm to create an ultra-thin high-performance panel."

In addition to OD Zero backlighting, Roku says its 2021 6-Series of TVs will feature true 8K panels, a major step-up from last year's 4K models, with upscaling performed by the company's AiPQ Engine.

TCL is also releasing a new XL Collection featuring three different 85" displays. The 4-Series 85R435 ($1,599) ships with Roku built-in and delivers 4K HDR performance. The step-up 4K QLED Roku TV 85R745 features Quantum Dot technology, Dolby Vision compatibility, Contrast Control Zone technology, and both a Variable Refresh Rate and 120Hz performance for gaming. The top-tier model is an 8K mini-LED design that's expected to begin shipping sometime during the middle of the year.

Google TV is making an appearance on TCL televisions during 2021. This Smart TV technology offers voice control, helps users find personalized content across multiple apps and sources, controls smart home appliances, and more.

Lastly, TCL's new Alto soundbar can wirelessly link with TCL Roku TVs using WiFi AUDIO streaming technology. That means no cables are necessary to experience soundbar performance. Once the soundbar is plugged in, it automatically synchronizes with a TCL Roku TV and displays an on-screen guide for set-up.

TCL says it plans to introduce more soundbar models later this year.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Wow... while I realize this is not the elite of 4K displays... imagine how much better it still is vs a $1600 display that was a lot smaller just 10 years ago.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Wow... while I realize this is not the elite of 4K displays... imagine how much better it still is vs a $1600 display that was a lot smaller just 10 years ago.

Imagine how much any 85” panel would have cost 10 years ago!

THX recommended viewing distance is 36degree field of view. For an 85” diagonal screen that’s 9.5ft feet. Maximum 13.5;ft. I would guess that opens the door for a cinema like experience in a great many, if not most, domestic spaces.

Unless projector technology/prices change by a bit, when it’s time to spend $500 for the next bulb I’ll likely get an 85” panel instead. I’m at 9ft viewing distance with a 92” screen. I think the benefit of the brightness to provide a HDR picture will outweigh the loss of screen size. Might be nice to watch a ball game in that room with the lights on too!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Yeah... 10 years ago they were probably over 10k.

The only drawback to a display vs a screen is the 2.35:1 (or widescreen ratio movies)... at least in my theater room where I would watch widescreen movies. With my projector screen I can increase the image size to get rid of the black bars that project onto black velvet and are not noticeable.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I have a TCL display in my bedroom and it was an incredibly good value.

Top Bottom