CEA-2010 tone burst capture

Greg Dunn

I'm doing some amplifier and signal processor testing with REW and for the sake of my own info I'd like to run some tone burst tests on the equipment under test. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the measurement DAC/ADC as its performance exceeds the items I'm going to be testing.

Those of you who run tone burst tests - how do you typically capture the output? Single-shot on an external scope? The REW scope? I'm leaning toward an external scope so that I don't have to calibrate my measuring loop voltages every time I run a test. It's a little harder to get the raw data this way though; I have a digital scope but will have to experiment with pulling the data from a waveform capture.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It is probably more common to look at the spectrum when running the CEA-2010 burst tests, REW's RTA will show the CEA-2010 distortion limits. The analyser settings to use are set out in the help. If you use the scope to look at the waveform you will probably need to set up some trigger holdoff to ensure consistent triggering on the start of the burst.

Greg Dunn

I was able to figure out how to set up the scope for a solid capture. Now that I've played with it a bit, I'll have a look at the RTA/distortion display.

Kudos on letting us see live distortion measurements on the RTA screen, too!

Top Bottom