Can't start IR Windows in REW for Linux- video card setting problem?

K

keithostertag

I'm new to speaker building, and so new to REW as well. I am using REW on a Linux setup, details below. It is a dual monitor setup. I use the i3 tiling window manager (not a DE).

I would like to learn about gating and using the Impulse response, but I can't get the IR Windows tab to work. It brings up a partial window, and the frame that is supposed to show the graphs is blank, but "blinking" as though it were trying to render it. See below screen capture.

I looked at top, and it tells me that xorg is using 99% of the available cpu. See below screen capture.

Is there a setting which I need to invoke/tweak?

First: the normal main screen with project loaded:
rew_main_screen.png

But when I hit the IR Window tab I get these results:

rew_xorg_problem.png

rew_xorg_problem2.png

System info:

keith@ada:~$ lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 8
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 58
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Stepping: 9
CPU MHz: 1600.183
CPU max MHz: 3700.0000
CPU min MHz: 1600.0000
BogoMIPS: 6784.38
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tscx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave a smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts

keith@ada:~$ uname -a
Linux ada 4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 (2018-05-07) x86_64 GNU

keith@ada:~$ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 2
0: +*DVI-I-1 1280/376x1024/301+1280+0 DVI-I-1
1: +HDMI-1 1280/376x1024/301+0+0 HDMI-1

keith@ada:~$ lspci -v | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You could try setting

-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True

in the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file to see if that helps.

K

keithostertag

Thanks for responding John. Unfortunately making that edit did not alter the results- it seems to have merely shifted the bottleneck to java, see attached image. This time I only get the cpu overload when the REW window is active.

BTW- I tried this on three different machines- this Linux desktop, a Linux laptop (similar setup), and a Windows 7 laptop (which I assumed was underpowered) and got the same result.

I'm running REW 5.18

rew_xorg_problem3.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW doesn't place any particular processing demands on the host, some folk still run it on old XP machines. Opening the IR windows dialog doesn't place any demands on anything, all it does is display the controls. Odd that you saw problems on a Win 7 laptop, but in any case best trying the latest builds from here rather than 5.18. Can also attach the mdat file you are seeing the problem with in case there is some issue with that.

K

keithostertag

HI John- Thanks, that did the trick!!!

I removed the old preferences (as per instructions) and downloaded V5.19beta9 from AV NIRVANA. I then removed the earlier version from my Windows machine as well. The new version would not work with my original measurement files from the earlier version. I redid the measurements, and now voila, the IR Windows option works as intended on both Linux and Windows 7 machines. Nice!

There is still one issue I notice- I clicked on the "Info" icon to confirm I have the V5.19beta9 running, and on the Linux machine (not on the Windows machine) I get the info display on top but also a flickering repeat of the info display in a second frame on the bottom part of the screen. I am not concerned, but thought I'd relay that. Of course, as a newbie to all this I am only using a small portion of the program at this time.

Thank you so much for your assistance, and for making your useful and fun software available to all of us.

Keith Ostertag

Top Bottom