Can't get 5.1 from Displayport to HDMI to Amazon HDMI Audio Extractor - SPDIF/Toslink

snatex

Registered
My preamp/av processor does not have HDMI inputs so I am going from my Surface Pro out of displayport to HDMI to the Amazon Basics HDMI Audio Extractor. The 5.1 button is activated and lit up on the device but no matter what I do I cannot get it to play 5.1 to the processor. 2.0 works fine. I've tried both the toslink and SPDIF to my processor. When I run the sub tests in REW it plays out of the L and R speaker. On the front of my processor it says it only recognizing a 2.0 signal. I tried running the 5.1 test in the speaker settings on the EP-HDMI-RX (Intel Display Audio) but when the center, sub or surrounds play I hear nothing - the r and l play fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Are you sending dts or DolbyDigital signals? Those are the only multichannel formats that the Amazon Basics HDMI Audio Extractor supports.

snatex

Registered
Im not sure what format the output from REW and Windows test signals are. I’m guessing pcm? I tried with a newer processor too. Same result. It is only getting a 2.0 PCM signal from the Amazon Extractor. The computer sound profile is set to 5.1 and is recognizing the Amazon device as 5.1 capable. I was able to test hdmi straight into a newer processor from the same computer and multichannel worked fine once I realized I needed to download and setup asio4all. Maybe I need to get a different extractor? Any that we know work with REW?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW cannot encode multichannel content, your processor would need individual analog inputs for each channel or an HDMI input that supports multi-channel PCM.

Top Bottom