Can it work like this?

Bruceski44

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a volunteer at a church with a bad low-frequency reverb problem and patchwork DIY absorbers installed. I'd like to use REW to analyze the large room (58' long x 45' wide by 17' avg ceiling height (sloped ceiling) totaling 45,000 sq ft)

I can setup my UMIK-1 and laptop near the center of the room. This will be about 40 feet from the mixing console which is where the sound will be injected for playback. There's no HDMI input to the console. I can use a series of long balanced cables to connect the laptop's audio output to the console input. Better yet, I'd like to use a separate iPod or similar to play sounds (asynchronously), but I don't know if the playback and capture must be synchronized in REW.

So my questions:
1. Must the playback and capture be synchronized by REW or can it capture sounds on the fly? i.e.: can REW be "listening" until the playback begins whereupon it will automatically switch to capture and analysis? Or can it capture a longer interval within which the area of interest appears?
2. Can I set it to use the PC's audio jack for output or must it be HDMI?
3. Is there a different analysis SW suite which would work better in my situation?

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful input.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
HDMI is really only relevant for measuring multi-channel home theater systems. You can connect an audio output directly to the system, or use REW's file playback option to measure - with that REW waits to hear a timing reference signal that is part of the measurement sweep file that gets played. When measuring a large space change the Analysis preference for IR truncation to keep more of the IR, set it to truncate after 4.4 or 9.9 seconds. Don't use the shortest sweep, 256k is the minimum to use and 512k would be better.

Bruceski44

Registered
Thank you, that's perfect.

Please let my donation be evidence of my gratitude for your product and superb support.

Top Bottom