Bug report: RT60 window graph selection automatically resets itself in 5.19 Beta 8.

Soundman2020

Registered
I recently upgraded to 5.19 Beta 8, and I noticed a minor but annoying bug in the RT60 tab, regarding the graph selection buttons. If you have several measurements open (for example, left speaker, right speaker, both L and R, sub, etc), and you try to turn off some of the curves for one measurement, they come back on again, all by themselves, if you go to another measurement then come back.

There's a pattern to it as well: You can turn off the "Topt" curve in all measurements EXCEPT for the one a the top of the list, you can turn of the "EDT" curve for all measurements EXCEPT the first two in the list. You can turn off the "T20" curve for all measurements EXCEPT the first three measurements, and so on.

So for example if your first measurement at the top of the list is "Left speaker", then you can click on "Topt" to turn it off, it does indeed turn off. But if you then select another measurement (maybe "Both L and R" in my example) and immediately come back to "Left Speaker", you'll find that the "Topt" button has now turned itself back on again, and the curve is displayed once more. Even worse, that new setting now applies to all the other measurements, even ones where it was turned off just fine.

This is annoying because if you want to look at only the T30 curve for all of your measurements, for example, by cycling through them quickly with "Alt-cursor arrow", all the other curves get turned back on again, for all the measurements, as you move up and down the list. It is no longer possible to just view one curve and cycle through all measurements.

Is there any workaround for this? Can it be fixed easily? It's not a huge bug, of course, but it is rather annoying!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I can't reproduce that behaviour, but I think I can see how it might happen. If you view the RT60 data for all the measurements before deselecting any particular RT60 trace do you get the same behaviour afterwards?

EarlK

Hi John,

I can confirm that this behavior exists in my REW ( running Win8.1, & using the Java bundled version of the latest build ).

Say one has 5 files waiting for viewing ( seen over on the left-hand side of REW ).

I can cycle through ( top to bottom ) all 5 files doing no de-selecting until the 5th.

I can deselect every trace type but ( for argument ) the last type available ( which is TS ).

Go back to the first file in the list of 5 and open it .
- TS will still be displayed but Topt will auto-add ( one can keep this new addition > or not ) then

Open the second file from the list top
- TS will still be displayed but EDT ( the 2nd type of RT60 ) will now get added ( while Topt will retain the status obtained from the previous step ).

Opening the third file will now add the third RT60 choice ( T20 ) into the display.

The long & short of it is, one can't cycle through multiple files while hoping to display just one ( of the 5 ) types of RT60 analysis.

:)

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks. There seems to be a timing dependency, as the same behaviour doesn't occur on my test systems, but I can see how it could and I've fixed it for the next beta. Been like that since at least 2014, mind.

Soundman2020

Registered
Yes, it's still the same behavior. In fact, I can turn off all curves in all measurements, so that nothing at all is selected, then as I cycle back up through the measurements (starting from the lowest one), they comeback on again, one by one: Fourth from the top has T30 selected, third from the top has both T30 and T20, second from the top has T30, T20 and EDT, and the top one has T30, T20, EDT and Topt. If I then cycle down again, all curves are on for all measurements.

I thought it might be file corruption, but it happens with any set of measurements, old and new: I have checked several MDAT files, some from years ago, and a couple take as recently as yesterday. All show identical behaviour, so I'm pretty sure it isn't file corruption.

It seems to be related to the latest update, but there were some signs of it before. With previous versions, I did occasionally notice curves selected that I had not clicked on, but when I deselected them they stayed off, so it wasn't a big deal. But now they won't stay off.

Soundman2020

Registered
I just installed 5.19 Beta 9, and this seems to have been fixed! Thanks, John!

Top Bottom