- Manufacturer & Model
- Bluesound Node X
Bluesound's BluOS app is best-in-class quality and functions flawlessly with all Bluesound components. Direct integration with additional services, such as Tidal offers options for your preference. The Bluesound Node hardware has always been rock solid and has continuously added new features and capability, but for the first time, the Node X includes a new, high-performance DAC inside.
We put a Bluesound Node X directly up against a Node 2i in the head to head listening test to see if we could hear a difference between the different DACs in everyday listening tests. Think we noticed a difference?
For the past several years, I've used a Bluesound Node 2i as my primary audio streaming device, and I've loved it. I was looking for a way to stream digitally to my Jolida 202BRC tube integrated amplifier I use for vinyl playback, and I wanted Apple AirPlay capability. The Node 2i fit the bill, the price was right, and it's been a constant staple in my 2-channel system ever since, without fail, without complaint.
I skipped over its replacement, the Node, but earlier this year, Bluesound released the 10th Anniversary edition, the Node X, and all I've heard about is the vastly improved DAC in the X. Since I've connected to a tube integrated amp since I bought it, I've been using the Node 2i's internal DAC (without complaint, I might add). So perhaps the Node X would mean it's time to upgrade, right?
Well Bluesound was kind enough to provide me with a review sample of the Node X to evaluate, and I was able to test it head-to-head against my Node 2i. I connected each to the Jolida with an identical set of RCA cables, used the fantastic BluOS app to create a zone containing the two devices so I could playback music from the same source to both Nodes simultaneously and do a blind test switching back and forth between the two seamlessly.
How did it fare?
Check out my video review of the Bluesound Node X on YouTube!
Bluesound Node X
- ESS 9028Q2M DAC
- Processor: ARM® Cortex™ -A53, Quad-Core, 1.8GHz per core
- Dual band Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet and support for 2-way Bluetooth aptX™ HD Bluetooth
- HDMI eARC connectivity
- Digital, optical and analog input/output options
- Wired and wireless headphone outputs
- Dubwoofer outputs
- THX Achromatic Audio Headphone Amplifier (THX AAA™) technology
- Supported Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, WMA-L, OGG, ALAC, OPUS
- Supported HiRes Audio Formats: FLAC, MQA, WAV, AIFF, MPEG-4 SLS
- 24-bit, 192kHz
- App Support: AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Roon-Ready
- Music Service Direct Integration: Click Here for Current Listing
- Amazon Alexa Skills