Best practise - REW and UMIK-1

Thomas Larsen

Registered
Hi
I've played with this for quite some time and things still puzzles me. When using java do you use built in windows 10 java or download from java.com ? Is java more reliable than ASIO ? For some reason - when I use ASIO 2.14 I have problems with the meassurements and sound when EQ'ed into my minidsp 2x4 hd. I looks fine in REW but sounds terrible. When I go back to 2.13 things sounds fine again.
My umik-1 is the 18 db version. Why should you increase gain in windows to 9.4 db ? Why not 0.0 db. When 18 db gain - should you still use -12 dbfs.

So confused here - so if you use win 10 + umik-1 - how did you set it up + do you use java or ASIO and if so what version. Read a lot of problems with ASIO v 2.14.
Next up is use java and then use direct cable to subwoofer from a soundblaster x-fi HD.

When looking at minidsp page they state use -20 dbfs but in Jerry guide it states -12dbfs (shouldn't matter actually as I read this - as long as you dont clip and get enough of signal).

The other day when I used ASIO 2.14 and made a house curve 100-30 rise 5,5 my subwoofer almost exploded :rubeyes:

I really like Jerry's guide - but think he is one of the very fortunate to have zero problems with all of this - so I'd like to hear from other REW experts here - what bases do I need to cover to make this work and have this sound perfect !

Regards
Thomas

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You need to distinguish between the Java runtime environment, which REW uses, and Java's audio drivers. On Windows there is a choice between the Java audio drivers and ASIO drivers. On macOS and Linux there are only Java audio drivers, but they are much more complete implementations that the Windows Java drivers.

When you say "ASIO" you appear to be referring to ASIO4All. ASIO4All is a wrapper around Windows drivers to make them look like an ASIO driver for applications that support ASIO. There are some compromises in that, native ASIO drivers are probably a better option when using an audio interface that offers them.

18 dB is the UMIK's internal gain. The best setting for the Windows input volume control for the UMIK is 0 dB, there is no benefit from applying gain and headroom is lost.

Thomas Larsen

Registered
Thank you for your reply. Yes it was asio4all. I will then only use the 0 db setting for my 18 db umik-1. Next time I will try to use java and see how that works. Using windows java - I can then only use left, right or both. Also if I connect hdmi to reciever - same only left, right and both. Will connect to my sub directly using left or right and then meassure.
Not as easy as dspeaker antimode sII and svs as-eq1 as I also have but they cannot create a house curve :rolleyes:

Top Bottom