Behringer X32 Rack (no audio signal coming back from X32 Rack to MacBook while "Calibrating Soundcard")

buenputter

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Behringer X32-Rack, Midas M32R
Computer Audio
Pro Tools
Other Equipment
MacBook Pro (Retina 15", Mid 2015), macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 2,8 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2 TB SSD
Dear REW-users,

I have difficulties in setting up my equipment for measuring my room.

The forum-search for "Behringer X32" or "X32" unfortunately did not help me in resolving this problem.

I installed REW V5.20 and connected my Behringer X32-Rack as audio-interface to my MacBook Pro and applied in
REW > Preferences > Soundcard
the "X-USB" as Output Device and Input Device, but cannot select it below as Output or Input where I just have the option to Select "Default Output" resp. "SPEAKER" and "Default Input" resp. "MICROPHONE". (I guess that this could be the culprit as two buddies using other interfaces CAN select their exact audio-interface here and not just "Default Output" / "Default Input".)

The 1 KHz test-tone from REW reaches my Behringer X32-Rack and I do receive a quite loud signal on the Master Output R, which is looped to Input 2, also receiving a quite loud signal, but no signal is coming back to REW (neither "In", nor "Ref In" => please cf. attached screenshot).

Could you please answer my question or point me to a thread / piece of information dealing with this problem?

Or maybe:
Has this issue been resolved in the latest beta-versions? (I found by search-function beta-versions dated more recently than April 2020, but could not find a download-location.)

Best,
Buenputter

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-24 um 17.05.34.png

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
REW works best with very basic sound cards, as described here. If it won’t work with an 8-channel MOTU, your chances are probably less than zero that it will work with a digital mixing console.

If your measurement mic is the USB variety, you can send the Macbook’s audio output to the X32. If that doesn’t work for some reason – the REW Help Files indicate what equipment and connection schemes work with the program. If you want to blaze new ground with something novel, you become the lab rat. :)

Regards,
Wayne

buenputter

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Pro Tools
Other Equipment
MacBook Pro (Retina 15", Mid 2015), macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 2,8 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2 TB SSD
That is a pity - thank you very much for your prompt answer! :-)

sam_adams

In the Preferences window, under Output and Input, if you click on the the Down Arrow next to Default Output and Default Input; are there any other devices or channels listed there?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Speaker and Microphone are the correct output and input to select, they are just generic names the Java driver uses to describe outputs and inputs. If you select them you should find they offer as many channels as your interface supports.

buenputter

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Pro Tools
Other Equipment
In the Preferences window, under Output and Input, if you click on the the Down Arrow next to Default Output and Default Input; are there any other devices or channels listed there?
Hi sam_adams,

thank you for your reply! Apart from "Default Output" and "Default Input" I could also choose "SPEAKER" and "MICROPHONE".

buenputter

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Pro Tools
Other Equipment
Speaker and Microphone are the correct output and input to select, they are just generic names the Java driver uses to describe outputs and inputs. If you select them you should find they offer as many channels as your interface supports.
Hi John Mulcahy,

I do find as many channels as my interface supports as well while choosing "Default Output" and "Default Input" as while choosing "SPEAKER" and "MICROPHONE". My interface receives the output from REW and the loop-back-channel does receive the 1kHz-signal, too. Unfortunately, the signal is not coming back to REW. :-(
I can adjust the signals within my interface that they are that hot, that they are clipping, but there is still no signal coming back to REW (-484.7 dB).

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Make sure that REW is allowed to access the microphone in the Privacy settings ("microphone" means any audio data input). Normally you will be prompted to allow access when REW first asks for input data, but if you have previously not allowed it you may not be prompted again. When access is not allowed the OS just sends zeroes, which gives the -484.7 dB level readings.

Top Bottom