Dynacord PCA 2250
Other Amp
DIY Headphone Amp
DAC
Topping D50s
Front Speakers
DIY based on Focal 165K2
Hey folks!

After some adventurous Setups to keep the show going, i am now at a point where i would like to do this right-ish.

The Setup is the following: Two Bookshelf DIY Speakers with Focal Factory Crossovers on my Desk with Focal 165K2 6", plus Tweeters (Tweeters are at -6dB via Speaker integrated Crossover since those are notoriously aggressive, could change that though).
The room is not big, about 12m² / 129ft² with Slopes and quite some stuff in it (Student Room). - So basically there is no room for placement shenanigans unfortunately!

Those Speakers seem pretty directional to me, so i pointed them at my head as best as i could, my Ears are still not perfectly in line.
Sub is a 12 " Klipsch R-120SW
Using a miniDSP 2x4 HD which goes into a Dynacord PCA 2250 Amp for the Speakers (Oldschool and PA, i know ;) )

Topology in short: The height difference to my Ears is as follows:
Mainspeaker Driver 44cm / 17.3 inch
Tweeter : 26cm / 10.2 inch
Distance from Speakers to the respective Ear (L/R) is 90cm / 35.4 inch just in distance to Speakers front plane, no diagonals taken.

Subwoofer is left of me below the Desk in a Corner, twice Reflex-Pipe Diameter from the Wall away (Front Speaker, back Pipe) middle of Membrane to middle of my Chest about 136cm / 53.5 inch, not Pointing at me though.

Measured with a UMIK-1, 90° cal file, set as best as i could in the position i am mostly in.
The Levels are Matched at 75 dB C with Pink Noise at the Listening position for all for the Measuring. All Speakers running at once yields a bit higher dB as expected.
For those First Measurements, i used no X-Over or other EQ Settings except to match Level in the DSP, Sub Low-Pass on Max (LFE) Setting.

What am i looking for: Ideas to Setup Crossovers and basically: Where the do i start to turn this into the best i can get out of that Setup =)
Please no comments about that this or that component is trash and that i should change it, it is what it is, and i have to deal with it ;)
Also using a Topping D50s DAC for my DIY Headphone Amp which i could finally dedicate to just this after the miniDSP arrived (no more Y-Cable Chaos ;) )

I think it is the easiest to just add the measuremtnes i guess? I've labeled them and have no idea how this works, but if someone is willing to help, i am sure we can figure this out!
I already did measuremtns, EQ and some stuff on my own before, but honestly, it usually sounded worse than just leaving everything alone.

Thanks guys!

Psycho Acoustic smoothing applied:
NoFilterSummary.jpg

Attachments

• NoFilter Baseline.mdat
    7.9 MB · Views: 17

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I think you need to use your miniDSP to shape the sub... it's basically one note bass right now at 50-60Hz.

Your mains have a hole at 80-100Hz. If you fixed that lower end it should improve the overall sound.

Seriosha

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Topping D50s
Main Amp
Dynacord PCA 2250
Other Amp
DIY Headphone Amp
DAC
Topping D50s
Front Speakers
DIY based on Focal 165K2
Thanks for the reply =)

Yeah, i thought so too and tried it. I was pretty irritated that my Regular Speakers have such high Amplitudes in that region too. In my current EQ Settings i put a 24dB Highpass on them, and it sounds actually not bad, who would've guessed after starting with this typical 80Hz recommendation i heard so much about!

The Sub was flattened out for sure, i don't know what to do with those mains holes though, since you're not supposed to boost gain afaik.

here's what i have in place atm (Measurement with bot Speakers + Sub), EQ Settings applied via a Harman's "House" Curve, hence the slope

Edit: I just saw that i apllyed var smoothing in this picture, but psychoacoustic in the ones before... in psychoacoustic it looks way better than this :rolleyes:

Attachments

• EQd Start.jpg
    EQd Start.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Top Bottom