Beamforming and REW

gactm

Registered
I’ve recently got a soundbar, Yarra 3DX, which is based on acoustic beamforming. For a better understanding of the context, the following lines are from Yarra Owner’s guide.

“The patented MyBeam™ technology powering the YARRA 3DX uses beamforming to play immersive surround sound recorded in either 5.1 or 7.1, binaural recordings and stereo (or even quadraphonic) recordings.
Beamforming is a signal processing technique used in a line array to achieve spatial selectivity. This is the key element that separates the YARRA 3DX from other soundbars. Most soundbars house 2 to 4 drivers that can only provide playback encoded to two channel sound (left and right). The YARRA 3DX is more than just a soundbar, it is a "line array" with 12 individually chambered 33 mm drivers.
The algorithms used in the MyBeam™ technology decode 5.1, 7.1, stereo and binaural recordings and encode them for playback from the line array so that they are heard as they were intended.”

Under the above-mentioned circumstances, my question is whether or not REW, in conjunction with a minidsp UMIK-1 microphone, might be suitable for the acoustic assessment of my room.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't see why not. Feed it stereo and see what the left, right and left+right measurements look like.

gactm

Registered
Thanks for encouragement. As Yarra 3DX consists of two parts: the main beamforming array (soundbar) and a separately powered subwoofer (wired), would it be necessary to measure the subwoofer and after that left + right + subwoofer?

The 21-inch wide array of 33 mm drivers is shown in the attached photos no. 1 and 2. Photos no 3 and 4 are for the 6-inch powered subwoofer (wired).

Top Bottom