Audyssey

chips33

Registered
Hi!

i have question that involve audessy and mini dsp 2x4(non hd) setup.

after doing audessy i tried to eq my subwoofer (jamo210) and was hung up on if i should have my mini dsp connected when making another audessy run or have it disconnected?

when i did my first run on audessy i ended up with -12db and after eq and another audessey i Also ended up with -12db , is this normal? Or should i expect another result?

badbunny

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers
SVS PC13-Ultra (currently dead) / Kef T2
Hi Chips, -12dB level means Audyssey has made the maximum negative adjustment it can which means it has run out of room to make the adjustments it needed. Did it complain about the subwoofer being too loud during setup? Rerun Audyssey and when it gets to the subwoofer level check there is an option where you can manually adjust the sub level and it shows you the SPL while playing a noise test, where you can go to the sub and change the gain until that value is about 75. If you do that I think Audyssey will come back with not -12dB. Pete.

chips33

Registered
Hi Chips, -12dB level means Audyssey has made the maximum negative adjustment it can which means it has run out of room to make the adjustments it needed. Did it complain about the subwoofer being too loud during setup? Rerun Audyssey and when it gets to the subwoofer level check there is an option where you can manually adjust the sub level and it shows you the SPL while playing a noise test, where you can go to the sub and change the gain until that value is about 75. If you do that I think Audyssey will come back with not -12dB. Pete.
Hi i tried this but my umik 1 hade trubbel reading 75 db and then i tried with my spl meter on my iPhone and that world:) Can umik 1 read subwoofer?
Regards Mattias z

badbunny

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers
Hi,

on my Denon receiver the audyssey microphone measures SPL during the calibration on the screen shown in the attached image when you select 'SW level matching'. I don't know what receiver you have, so it might not have the same option.

You can also measure SPL in REW with your UMIK1. Connect the UMIK1 to your laptop, and the laptop to your receiver with HDMI . First start the REW pink noise generator (see attached image). Then open the SPL meter without closing the noise generator window (see attached image).

Pete.

Attachments

• denon sw level matching.png
    denon sw level matching.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 19
  • REW pink noise generator.png
    REW pink noise generator.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 20
  • REW SPL meter.png
    REW SPL meter.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

chips33

Registered
Aha when i read rew manual it did not say that it should say -12 dbfs so i used -30dbfs as with the cal speakers. Also im using avr x2400 h and it dose not have spl meter . Also when using umik 1 does it say WHO many meter the boom mic should stand away from sofa?

badbunny

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers
On the back of your sub there is a level control (see image). What have you got it set to? I've read online that it should be set to about 1/2 to 1/3 for audyssey calibration. Try turning it down and rerunning Audyssey calibration. If it still comes out at -12dB try turning down some more and repeat until its not at -12dB after calibration. My old subwoofer had to be turned down to about 1/8 for calibration to come out not at -12dB.
Pete.

Attachments

• Jamo 210 sub level.png
    Jamo 210 sub level.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

chips33

Registered
I have a jamo sub 210 and i was told to set it to mid range but when I followed youre tips I got the sub to 75 db and it reads -8.0
I did not turn master volume all the way to 0db (too Loud:)) when measuring but it sounds nice.

Last edited:

badbunny

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers

chips33

Registered
Also should i set the spl meter and generator same as sub cal when im doing speaker cal?

badbunny

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers
With the generator and SPL I assume you would set the generator to 'full range' rather than 'sub cal' but Audyssey sets the levels so you don't need to do that before the audyssey. For the minidsp I don't know how you are supposed to use it with audyssey, whether you do it before or after the audyssey calibrations. Hopefully someone else can help with that. Pete.

chips33

Registered
With the generator and SPL I assume you would set the generator to 'full range' rather than 'sub cal' but Audyssey sets the levels so you don't need to do that before the audyssey. For the minidsp I don't know how you are supposed to use it with audyssey, whether you do it before or after the audyssey calibrations. Hopefully someone else can help with that. Pete.

hi! I meant with speaker cal should I set rew spl meter same as I did with sub cal (-12dbfs or should i set it on -30 dbfs?) when measuring speakers? After audyssey calibration?

badbunny

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4000
Front Speakers
Kef T301
Center Channel Speaker
Kef T301c
Surround Speakers
Kef T101
Subwoofers
Hi Chips, the -12dB is the signal level you are playing through your system, The SPL measurement is from your calibrated UMIK1. If you turn up the signal your measured SPL will be louder. I think this just lets you see the SPL of each speaker relative to each other. After the audyssey I think they should all be the same in the main listening position (where the audyssey microphone position #1 was). I'm not clear what you are trying to calibrate after the audyssey, and don't think I know enough to help. It might be a good idea to explain what you are trying to do in a bit more detail so more knowledgeable people can help. Pete.

Edit: 75dB is the reference level Audyssey is using for its calibration, ie the SPL measured at its microphone during its test sounds (and what you would measure with an SPL meter if you measured it at the same time). For the audyssey calibration it controls the signal level and amplifier level to get the readings it wants at its microphone. When you do it manually you control the signal level and the amplifier level to get whatever SPL you want at your UMIK1. Looking at the 'Checking Levels' section in the REW manual it says the following:
"Press the Check Levels... button and follow the instructions on screen. The test signal defaults to an RMS Level of -12 dBFS. If connected to an AV processor, start with the volume fairly low and increase it until the meter is reading around 75 dB. The exact level is not critical."

So from that I think you do leave the generator at the default of -12 and adjust the amplifier volume until the SPL at your UMIK1 is about 75dB. Where did you read about setting the signal generator to -30 ?

Pete.

Last edited:

chips33

Registered
From rew geting started manual ”setting levels with rew”.

chips33

Registered
After some level setting i got my sub down to -0.3 db on avr thanks for youre help.

Top Bottom