REW Beta Release Audiofrog UMI-1 & REW v5.20-beta-48 : IN/Ref IN level fluctuation during calibration

krw

Registered
HI all .. my first post, please be gentle.

Attempting the initial calibration steps in Audiofrog-UMI-1-Setup-Instructions-for-REW for the UMI-1 Kit I'm on step 11 when I noticed something odd with the Mixer's microphone level vs. the usb pnp sound device's microphone level adjustment. Steps to reproduce are as follows.

Attach loopback cable configuration for UMI-1 USB PnP Sound Device as stated in instructions (step 2) and insert usb device.

Right click sound icon in tray -> Playback Devices
a) Ensure settings as stated in instructions

Close Playback Devices

Click sound icon in tray -> Click Mixer
a) Speakers (80)
b) Set slider of Microphone to (0)

Run REW
a) Set Output & Input to use UMI-1 USB PnP Sound Device
b) Input control will show 0.800 (matching usb device's (80) setting)
c) Output control is unchecked (as REW apparently desires it to be after enabling the input control)
d) Select "user main speaker test signal ..."
e) Optionally set the pink noise setting you desire (doesn't affect anything)
f) Leave all other settings as-is
g) Click calibrate sound card
- Had to adjust mic rew level down to 0.168
- Levels flat at -12.0 .. -9.7 .. -9.7
- No fluctuation of IN/Ref IN at all

Results:

You'd think you'd be done (and maybe I am) but with the Mixer mic at zero and even a couple of clicks higher it remains stable. However as I increase the mic level in the Mixer window the IN/Ref IN starts to fluctuate up and down more and more as you increase the Mixer's mic level. If I stop at 18 the fluctuations remain between -14 dBFS to -2 dBFS (which is considered acceptable according to REW's guidance in its dialog box).

Which one should be used to make the cal file? The Mixer with mic level of zero and IN/Ref IN flat or with it at level 18 and IN/Ref IN fluctuating? Thoughts?

Thank you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You must not mix any of the mic signal to the output, otherwise you create a feedback loop.

krw

Registered
Hey thanks for the reply very much appreciated. Ok then I'll go back and redo keeping the mixer's mic setting at zero so in/ref do not fluctuate but before doing so I'll read "Thread on REW setup with USB mics and HDMI on AVS Forum" that I just noticed to see if there is anything else I dorked along the way.

P.S. This is one heck of an app, thank you!

Top Bottom