AT A GLANCE: New Music Releases April 6, 2018

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
AT A GLANCE: New Music Releases April 6, 2018

full?d=1523398585.png
It is fun to discover a new artist or album that you particularly enjoy, and to share the good news of that discovery with a friend who has similar taste in music. With new music appearing at the rate it does, it is nearly impossible to keep up with all the new releases.

Today I went to Tidal’s "What’s New" listings and scanned through the first dozen albums to see if anything grabbed me. A few did, some as definite additions to my Favorites list, and a number that were on the edge and deserve some more detailed listening time for a final decision later. I also added to the list a recent discovery worthy of mention, even though not a new release. Would that time travel allowed me to review all of the better ones in detail, but I have not quite mastered all the intricacies.

In some cases the appeal was immediate. Where it was not, I skimmed four tracks. After the first dozen in Tidal’s order, I took a few liberties. Here are the results:

Invasion of Privacy, by Cardi B. Hip Hop, which I do not automatically dislike, in this case musically uninteresting.
NOT FOR ME.

Revamp: The Songs Of Elton John & Bernie Taupin, by Various Artists. Pop, Rock. Recent covers of the pair’s popular works in a range of styles, so keep an open mind. But how can you go wrong with a bunch of Elton John songs?
LOVED IT.

Restoration: The Songs Of Elton John & Bernie Taupin, by Various Artists. Pop, Rock. In this case, their songs have been re-imagined, with many of Elton’s originally-recorded vocals intact but new everything else. How can you go wrong?
LOVED IT.

The Color Of You, by Alina Baraz. Pop, Rock. Beautifully recorded, songs that make you tap your foot and want to sing along.
WORTH ANOTHER LISTEN.

CNCO, by CNCO. Pop, Rock. All in Spanish, which I do not mind. but with 4-chord, 4:4 timing, nothing to really sink my musical-mental teeth into. It came close a couple of times, but...
NOT FOR ME.

Total Xanarchy, by Lil Xan. Hip Hop. Great music should tap into one’s inner experience, but the overly negative does not appeal to me.
NOT FOR ME.

Dex Meets Dexter, by Famous Dex. Hip Hop. There were a few passages that tried to pry their way into my mental play queue, but it just did not happen.
NOT FOR ME.

Sex And Food, by Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Alternative. Sonicaly unlikely, grungy then shimmery, with a very smart retro-psychedelic vibe in the undercurrents, fresh music and lyrics are smart yet personable. "Hunnybee" is a sweet little tune you won’t forget quickly. "American Guilt" makes you feel alive. This is why we listen. Once in awhile we run into a jewel that is pure fun.
LOVED IT.

Johnny Cash: Forever Words, by Various Artists. Country. I did not look into the backstory for this album, but I suspect there is a fascinating one. Here is music that is simply and honestly recorded, and tries to capture the soul of a unique american artist. It succeeds. There are not many country albums I add to my Favorites. This is one.
LOVED IT.

America, by Thirty Seconds To Mars. Hard Rock. Among the more boring genres to me, it took an effort to listen through four track segments.
NOT FOR ME.

Isolation, by Kali Uchis. Pop. I almost zipped right past this one, but something late in the first track slowed me down. Just when you think you’re ready to move on, the groove goes in some unexpected direction and you keep listening.
WORTH ANOTHER LISTEN.

I Don’t Run, by Hinds. Alternative. Not sonically where I usually prefer to go, but music, lyrics, and performance were all offbeat and unpredictable enough to keep me onboard.
WORTH ANOTHER LISTEN.

Vacation In Hell, by Flatbush Zombies. Hip Hop. This one has a lot more to it than I expected, yet still did not quite keep me listening.
NOT FOR ME.

The Deconstruction, by Eels. Alternative. I knew I would like this one as soon as I saw it. Fresh, honest lyrics from deeper in the psyche than most humans ever delve, much less sing about. Gravely vocals, great recordings, innovative arrangements, spanning a fearsome range of styles with no apologies. No impartiality here, I am a long-time Eels fan.
LOVED IT.

Moosebumps: an exploration into modern day horripilation, by Dr. Octagon. Electronic Hip Hop. I almost liked this one, then tried to shut it off, but the arrangements and sonics kept pulling me back.
WORTH ANOTHER LISTEN.

Where’s The Drop, by deadmau5. Electronic with Orchestra. I was never a fan of the whole Unplugged craze. Boneless rock, no crunch, like soggy chips. Can’t believe I am saying this, because I love deadmau5 and I love good orchestral arrangements, but this is like meat jello to me. No aspic, please, I prefer "Strobe" with a BEAT! That said, I might fall in love with a second listen. It has happened before.
WORTH ANOTHER LISTEN.

And, from way in the past, 2004 to be precise but I first heard it a few weeks ago:

Jaku, by DJ Krush. Electronic Hip Hop, only with jazz and traditional Japanese influences, including shakuhachi, a “dirty” instrument recorded with its zen messiness intact. Contrasted with today’s electronica and its 32- and 64-bar transitions, Krush’s more song-like 8 and 16 bar structures are jolted from rhythmic, harmonic, and sonic normalcy often enough to be unsettling. Sometimes syruppy, never boring, only a few tracks are rapped. The sonics deserve a detailed study.
LOVED IT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Enjoyed reading this piece, Wayne... time to give some of these a listen!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will also have to listen. I am way out of touch with what is playing now.

Top Bottom