SVS Prime Center
Subwoofers
SVS SB-1000 PRO
Video Display Device
Sony 65 in x950H
Streaming Equipment
Aplle TV 4k, Shield TV
Hi all

When I use the pink noise generator in REW on individual channels in ASIO4all measuring the level with the SPL meter and Umik1, my subwoofer channel is 7 db higher then my mains. However, if I use the test tone generator in my Yamaha receiver, the sub channel is only about 2-3 db higher which is what I want. I thought the ASIO4ALL test would be more accurate since the YPAO might be causing a difference, but my Yamaha is an entry level receiver and I do not believe its YPAO applies any eq to the sub region (ie, when I run a sweep of the sub with YPAO on and off, the graphs are exactly the same).

Why is it that ASIO4ALL would have a big difference? Can I trust that the volume level it sends to each channel at -20db is truly the same? Could I have something set incorrectly? When I was trying to do sweeps with A4ALL, I was getting static but then I changed the buffer size and that has stopped.

The problem is I do not know which levels to trust. On some source material, the sub sounds a little too loud but on others not loud enough so it's very confusing. I really dont want to keep adjusting it based on what I am watching. would rather set it correctly once and then not think about it. Could the pink noise from the receiver for the sub channel not be including down to 20-30 Hz?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When you send signals directly to the LFE channel the processor adds 10 dB of gain, so you need to reduce the level by 10 dB.

gregw

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TSR5830
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Center
Subwoofers
SVS SB-1000 PRO
Video Display Device
Sony 65 in x950H
Streaming Equipment
Aplle TV 4k, Shield TV
I was starting to suspect something of this nature as I had read about differences in the LFE level vs other channels but what I had read had said that source material is programmed to have 10 db additional gain not that the processor adds 10 db gain. But glad to have a definitive explanation from the authority!
John I am new to the AV enthusiast space but I am mightily impressed with what you have brought to the community with REW and very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks!!

Top Bottom