Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
I have a Denon AVR 4520ci I wish to sell but it has some issues and I was wondering if people sell units that need some repair or if there is a need to do the repairs first. I do realize I would need to let it go cheap but that is the plan. Physically it is in great condition, usual scratches on the back and the remote is still covered in plastic.

If one were to plug the AVR in and attach components it plays great. All of the inputs work, all of the sound choices work such as stereo, direct, multichanel, DTS, MA and Dolby etc, no problems there. And it has no lag with hdmi handshakes or anything of that nature. The amps work fine, as do the pre-outs.

However, there seems to be an internal ground issue as when one changes chapters of a movie for example there is a light pop for a brief moment and then all is well. I called the repair palace and they told me it was a ground issue that a great many Denon receivers fall prey to.

Second is the big issue, When I run Audyssey using the original microphone, the sound seems somewhat thin and a bit harsh. I dont like it and I dont imagine anyone else will either. As long as one does not engage Audyssey and sets everything up manually it seems fine.

Thoughts ??

Thank You

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
It won't hurt to try and sell it as long as you spell it out like you have here. You are disclosing its known faults. You never know who might be looking for a unit like this. There are those who don't care for Audyssey, albeit few. If the price is right, they might even opt to have it sent in for an overhaul.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
You can sell whatever you want, as long as your product description is open and honest. Obviously, the price is going to need to reflect operating condition. :cool:

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
So basically its possibly only an internal ground issue is basically what your saying, right?

Is there actually an issue with the audyssey or have you just not liked how it sounded to you in that mode?

The menu issue just start happening?
Is it possibly the source player or display getting a lag in the feed?

I have sold a av reciever in the past with clear notice of the problem, and clear notice of As Is, and no returns. The key is to be clear and honest of any issues. I sold it on eBay. Worked fine, all functions, it would over heat and shut down after an hour. It was a Sony.

Nakdoc

More  
Yamaha C85
Main Amp
Kenwood L-07MmkII
Pioneer CLD-79 Pioneer DV-45
Front Speakers
DCM Time Windows
Center Channel Speaker
Ha!
Surround Speakers
zilch
Surround Back Speakers
nada
Front Height Speakers
imaging
Rear Height Speakers
imaging
Subwoofers
a dog named sweetie
Sota Sapphire turntable Nakamichi 680 cassette
Video Display Device
Hitachi CT2066
Streaming Subscriptions
Revox B77, A700 reel
I've checked with Denon and I do not see any info about ground issues. IMO the issue reminds me of the type of issue that is cleared up by installing newer versions of firmware. If firmware has been updated, the Denon web site will have information about how to check your current version and how to update without bringing the unit into the shop.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
You can go into menus and look up the firmware installed and also run a check for newer firmware available if your plugged into Ethernet.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Lots
Thank You for all your info gentlemen. It is truly appreciated. I think I will order a replacement Audyssey Mic just to see if mine is broken.
I did the updates and it has a readout essentially telling me it is up to date.
Re the grounding issue, the repair guy was very clear. The problem is that when I move between chapters on a disk, there is a very brief quiet pop that comes out over the speakers. Apparently while the dvd player is seeking the track i want, it cuts out the video and audio for a brief moment so that there is no audio signal going to the AVR. The AVR is supposed to do something with the ground assembly in the electronics which then also quiets the brief noise, however in this unit it does not happen quick enough. Two techs told me that it may be a bad solder joint or loose screw....or maybe they said that about me...hmmm. None the less, that part is very fixable. I had sent this unit in for a repair a year or so ago to the denon repair facility in NJ and even though the repair was easy it took 2 months to get it back. Either way, I think it will be sold as an as is where is basis for a couple hundred bucks.

I see you do repairs on Denon Tom, I am not that far from you and may take a chance on repairs....but no warrantee is involved any longer.

L

Leonard Caillouet

My first thought in general was a bad solder joint. A bad ground is a nice guess for this kind of problem, and maybe it is a solder joint that is the source. If the tech has a lot of experience with these models, I would let them fix it. If not, and in general, I would not let anyone touch it who is not specifically familiar with this series of AVRs. Modern AVRs pack a lot of stuff into a small package and if you don't know how to properly take it apart and put it back together, and what you are looking for specifically, a hack could do more harm than good.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Lots
I agree Leonard, completely. The two places I called are both official certified Denon repair facilities.
I might have done a little experiment and now having done so, I feel like a goof. I went ahead and tried the Audyssey mic from my Integra and on a whim, plugged it in to the Denon and after just three rounds of speaker sounds, I went ahead and had the Denon save the readings and store them. Once done, I checked the readouts and they appeared ok so I grabbed some music and movie discs and went to town. The Audyssey now works pretty good even though the mic for the Integra is older than my Denon, never the less, things sounded very good. Sooo I ordered a new proper mic.

The little tick when I change some things is still there but its never been overly prevalent. I may spring to get that fixed. And since the Denon sounds a tad better than the Integra, it may be the ladder on the chopping block.

Top Bottom