Are my crossovers not working on Marantz 7013

gpershall

1st try with running REW on my Marantz SR7013 system. System consists of Martin Logan motion 40's mains, Marti When Logan XT50 center and dual SVS SB13 Ultras. I set the XOVER to ALL 250 in the receiver, mode to stereo, mains to small. REW prefs were, JAVA, UMIK1. MiniDSP HD, When running measurements with the sweep range of 20 to 80 I am getting the sweeps playing on my mains. I turned off both subs and run Left and Right settings in the prefs and I see the full 20-80 sweep in both mains. Is my receiver bad or am I doing something wrong?

witwald

The user guide for the SR7013 has this to say:

Stereo: This mode plays 2-channel stereo audio with no additional surround sound processing.

• Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, and subwoofer if connected.
  • When multi-channel signals are inputted, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio and are played back with no additional surround sound processing.
It would seem that stereo mode does drive the subwoofer.

You have set the main speakers to "Small", so that is appropriate. In the receiver, “Crossovers” can be set when the “Subwoofer Mode” setting is “LFE+Main”, or when you have a speaker that is set to "Small". The default crossover frequency is "80 Hz". The setting "XOVER to ALL 250" seems to be out of place here, as your main speakers have quite good low-frequency extension down to around 40 Hz or so. Are you referring to the filtering applied to the LFE signal? You could try a setting of 60 Hz, or no higher than 80 Hz, for the crossover frequency between the subwoofer and the mains. You may still see the 20–80 Hz sweep in both mains with an 80 Hz crossover frequency, as they would still have some output, although it would be very low in the 20–40 Hz region.

gpershall

The user guide for the SR7013 has this to say:

Stereo: This mode plays 2-channel stereo audio with no additional surround sound processing.

• Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, and subwoofer if connected.
  • When multi-channel signals are inputted, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio and are played back with no additional surround sound processing.
It would seem that stereo mode does drive the subwoofer.

You have set the main speakers to "Small", so that is appropriate. In the receiver, “Crossovers” can be set when the “Subwoofer Mode” setting is “LFE+Main”, or when you have a speaker that is set to "Small". The default crossover frequency is "80 Hz". The setting "XOVER to ALL 250" seems to be out of place here, as your main speakers have quite good low-frequency extension down to around 40 Hz or so. Are you referring to the filtering applied to the LFE signal? You could try a setting of 60 Hz, or no higher than 80 Hz, for the crossover frequency between the subwoofer and the mains. You may still see the 20–80 Hz sweep in both mains with an 80 Hz crossover frequency, as they would still have some output, although it would be very low in the 20–40 Hz region.
The xover was set to 250 as I was working with REW and the MiniDSP setting up my subwoofers. It is normally set at 80. I was just concerned that I was seeing sound output in the mains when running a 20-80 hz sweep with the xover at 250. It was probably due to my receiver being in the stereo mode. I have not had a chance to try again without being in stereo mode.

Top Bottom