Acoustic Timing Reference

Muhammad Faiaz

Registered
Hi There
I am new to the forum and trying to achieve something which i am falling in love with.
I have 6 sub-woofers in my home theater and want to use Multiple Sub Optimization technique as referenced at
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/home-theater-tuning/tuning-multiple-subs

I need to measure each sub for MSO software and trying to measure using acoustic timing reference. While doing so my speakers (left or right) are passing 40-120 as well which is not correct as i want to only measure subs.

Please suggest as how to avoid speakers not to pass lower freq and only transmit high freq timing reference.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Have you found AndyC's (the author of MSO) website yet? The answer you're looking for is in his tutorial and a more direct answer of your question found in the documentation here http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/measuring.html If you haven't read through it yet you will definitely want to. It will save a lot of time in the end.

I'll try to answer your question though in case this is all you need...
Assuming you are able to direct a separate signal from REW to either the front left or front right and your are measuring the subs via a base managed signal instead of the LFE channel, an example is...

Use the Front Right as your acoustic timing reference.
Disconnect the speaker wire (SEE CAUTION BELOW) from your FRONT LEFT and send the Rew signal to the Front Left (base manged) channel when measuring each sub at each listening position.
Now Mute all of the subs.
Measure the Front Right (still using it as your acoustic timing reference) at each listening position.
Re-connect the wires to the Front Left and measure it.

CAUTION: BE CAREFUL THAT THE + AND - WIRES DON'T TOUCH WHEN YOU HAVE THEM DISCONNECTED AND ARE SENDING A SIGNAL TO THAT CHANNEL OR YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR EQUIPMENT. REMOVING THE WIRES FROM THE AMPLIFIER TERMINALS IS PROBABLY SAFEST BUT MAY ALSO BE IMPRACTICAL. PLEASE JUST BE CAREFUL.

Muhammad Faiaz

Registered
Appreciate your response-right on to my question
going to give it a shot tonight- though after reading and stuff seems like a very commitment needing process to tune these
are there are any youtubes out there

Muhammad Faiaz

Registered
Good Morning, and thank you for the previous help
I was able to precisely make the measurements and ran the MSO optimization. How do I get the values from MSO to be able to enter into my DSP. I am using Driverack Venue360

will appreciate some help

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
How do I get the values from MSO to be able to enter into my DSP.

There are two methods I know of to get data out of MSO.

1. You can export biquad text for each sub's filters by right clicking on sub channel's filter folder and selecting export biquad text. Assumes your DSP can import biquads from a text file.

Export Biquads.png

2. You can copy the information you need from a filters report for subsequent manual entry to DSP. You can view the filters report by clicking on the Config drop down menu and selecting Show Filter Report ...
There is no way withing MSO to print this report that I know of, but you can copy and paste the text to a document and print the document.

MSO Config Report.png

I'm not familiar with your DSP so if you need help entering MSO's generated filters to your DSP perhaps there's someone else here who may be.

Muhammad Faiaz

Registered
Thanks, seems like you know the most here and I am still stuck
Are you in the USA? any chance we speak?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Go ahead and post your question. There's definitely more knowledgeable folks around here than I.

Top Bottom