Acoustic timing reference does not switch off during after the timing measurement

ClaudiusMaximus

Registered
Hi folks,

since two years, i am doing my measurements with an umik 2, an motu m2 and REW on a windows 10 system. For speakerdesigning i am using an small external fullrange speaker placed on a fixed place during the whole measurements, as an acoustic timing refernce. So far so good....
Two weeks ago my measurements starting to look different and i noticed, that during the initial timing sweep of the external fullrange, the fullrang also played the sweep together with the driver i actually wanted to measure. This was new...so instead of just measuring the driver both channels where playing and while i still got the frequency response of the driver which i wanted, i also got a mix of the comnined distortion measurements from BOTH (the timing fullrange and the driver to measure).
I know that it is the combined measurement of the FR (fullrange) and the driver, because i measured them separately!

Next step, was to look if i switched something in the config of the measurement, but still it was all the same as before. It is just, that the timing speaker plays all the time the whole sweep (after the timing blipp) and it does not matter how it is switched or to which channel it is routed (main channel left or right and vice versa the timing).

So the next step was do duninstall REW and try it with a clean slate...nope nothing changed, still the FR is playing the whole sweep and gives me a nice way to high distortion for my whole measurement. In my mind, it does not make sence, because it never did it before and i don't know how to switch it off so that it only plays the timing blipp and nothing more.

On top of that, changed my REW something in the impulse response settings (internally) because with the timing FR behavior i also wasn't able to measure under 2,54 ms anymore, were before all my measurements got clean results with 6,5 ms on the right side of the window. Now all measurements which i got with 6,5 ms looked like, i did not set the window right (ie. like when i would measure past 7 ms or so on). So with try and error i landed at 2,54 ms with the maximum time window i now could measure. All in all it did not change a thing, because never change a running system. I my magic to test is mostly run out. The only thing which "changed" were some windows 10 updates, but i can not imagine with windows sound settings set to: programs have total control over the device and programs in exclusive mode have priority, that this could change the measuring behavior this much. But in the end i don't know :justdontknow:.

Maybe someone good an idea what to do.

Greets CM

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Probably best to start by attaching an example mdat file from a measurement and a screenshot of the Measure dialog configuration.

Top Bottom