front.jpg
Movie: :2stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :2.5stars:

1.jpg
Movie

Love him or despise him, Tom Brady is one of the most iconic quarterbacks of the last 50 years. He’s garnered quite the fanbase over the years and also, just as many haters. He’s been the subject of controversy, he’s also retired several times and spent one of the longest careers out there for the rough and tumble support. However, nothing can stop that train wreck that is 80 For Brady, a feel good girls romp based off of a true story about a group of 80 year old’s who were some of the biggest Brady fans ever.

Originally released on Paramount+ I pretty much ignored the film based upon the cheesy looking trailer, and it looks like I was right to do so. The film didn’t fare to well on the streaming platform, but when the Blu-ray came out I figured I might as well give it a spin. I’ll give anything a spin in my Blu-ray player at least once. Now I’m regretting that decision, as I’m going to have to watch 2-3 films just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

We meet our quartet of ladies as Lou (Lily Tomlin) is about to open a letter from her doctor which might prove to be the return of her cancer. However, things will wait as the Patriots are on their way to the super bowl, and the ladies have all gathered around to watch him bring the Pats to victory. Trish (Jane Fonda) is a hob nobbing erotic fiction writer who’s jumped around from famous football player husband to the net, while Betty (Sally Fields) is the polar opposite. Sharp as a tack and an aging professor of mathematics, she’s the pragmatist of the group. Then there’s Maura (Rita Moreno), a widow who has chosen to live at a retirement home for the company even though she has no need.

2.jpg
Lou out of the blue decides for the group that they need to go to the Superbowl as a last ditch effort to do something important before her possible medical demise. Naturally the 4 girls can’t afford tickets, so they enter into a raffle to win tickets, only to “magically” win at the last moment. What happens next is your typical girl power road trip complete with old ladies accidentally taking pot edibles (wheee, like that trope hasn’t been used before), meeting new hunks for Trish, and various hijinks.

Wow, I’m not sure what the true story is behind the “80 for Brady”, but it can’t be as bad as the story on screen here. 80 For Brady is a train wreck of a film that careens around with every horrible comedy trope known to man. It’s painfully cheesy with awful dialog and bad acting all around. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda have been icons for ages, but both of them phone in their performances (and Jane Fonda has has so much work done she looks more plastic than a Mattel toy). Poor Sally Fields gives it her best, but she’s let down by an AWFUL script and a mediocre supporting cast than makes 1980s Cannon films look quality.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for brief strong language, some drug content and some suggestive references.

Video: :4.5stars:
3.jpg
I’m not so sure that the target audience for this movie CARES about the Blu-ray quality, but it’s still fantastic either way. Bright, shiny, digitally glossy, 80 For Brady pops onto Blu-ray with a sparklingly clean and clear transfer that is magnificent. Rich coloring and neutral grading makes this is a delight to behold (at least something in the film is) and showcases stunning black levels and no signs of major artifacting. The only thing I could really complain about is the film getting a bit soft here and there.

Audio: :4stars:
4.jpg
At Atmos track? For a comedy like this? OK, I’m not going to complain, but I feel that it’s a bit overkill. The comedy is nice and straight forward, with strong dialog and good content in the mains. However, I was surprised how much activity we have in the surrounds, but I shouldn’t be surprised being that we’re centered around a world level Football game. The bass is fairly restrained, but does come out to play in the final act starting with the girls walking into the game. All in all, it’s a strong track, but still a comedy track, and a bit overkill with the Atmos.

Extras: :3stars:
5.jpg
• The Game Plan: Making 80 For Brady—Get a sneak peek at the making of the hilarious film as the cast dish on their characters and much more!
• The GOATs: Jane, Lily, Rita & Sally—Experience a heartwarming ode to aging, the power of female friendship, and how wisdom surpasses youth.
• The Visiting Team: Meet the Supporting Cast—Get ready for a star-studded supporting cast! Join Sara Gilbert, Billy Porter, Jimmy O. Yang, Harry Hamlin, Guy Fieri, and Patton Oswalt for behind-the-scenes interviews.
• The Largest Comeback in Super Bowl History—Tom Brady and his teammates relive their epic comeback. Hear their stories in this thrilling featurette!
• Extended & Deleted Scenes
• 80 For Brady: Play-By-Play—Join the cast for a hilarious roundtable play-by-play with host Billy Porter.
• "Gonna Be You" Music Video—Dance along to this video featuring Dolly Parton, Belinda Carlisle, Cyndi Lauper, Gloria Estefan, and Debbie Harry for the song written by Diane Warren.

Final Score: :2.5stars:

If you can’t tell, I wasn’t exactly a fan of 80 For Brady at all. It tanked on Paramount+ by all accounts, and I can see why. It’s a horrible mess with poor pacing, bad acting, and pretty much a complete lack of redeeming features. The Blu-ray looks and sounds good, and even the extras are pretty solid. But that still doesn’t make up for the complete abortion that is the film itself. Run away, run far away.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Lily Tomlin, Rita Moreno, Jane Fonda, Sally Field, Tom Brady, Billy Porter
Directed by: Kyle Marvin
Written by: Sarah Haskins, Emily Halpern
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core)
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 124 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: May 2nd, 2023
image.png

Recommendation: Skip It

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I thought maybe, it might be worth seeing on a lazy day but I guess not. :)

Kal Rubinson

And, yet, the sequel is already being released with even more cringe-worthy promos. Perhaps you will need some negative stars for your ratings..............

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no....

NOPE

Top Bottom