64-bit Float Export Feature Request

G29

Feature request.

I see REW supports the imports of 64-bit floats.

Could 64-bit float exports be added for parity if REW supports 64-bit data easurements internally ?

Thanks much.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Audio data is handled as 32-bit floats internally, although 64-bit float WAV files can be imported they end up as 32-bit floats. Internal processing is mainly 64-bit.

G29

"Audio data is handled as 32-bit floats internally," =(...

Thanks for the info.

I discovered SoX chops 64-bit samples when converting between 64-bit WAV and 64-bit PCM when it should just add/remove a header.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Going from 64-bit floats to 64-bit PCM is more than a header change, PCM is an integer format so the data has to be changed to fixed point. The sox plot looks more like the result of converting from 32-bit float.

G29

Going from 64-bit floats to 64-bit PCM is more than a header change, PCM is an integer format so the data has to be changed to fixed point. The sox plot looks more like the result of converting from 32-bit float.
Hi John,

RePhase outputs into a 64-bit IEEE wav format.

Maybe I should have said WAV and RAW and back to WAV to be more accurate.

.wavpcm
A non-standard, but widely used, variant of .wav. Some applications cannot read a standard WAV file header for PCM-encoded data with sample-size greater than 16-bits or with more than two channels, but can read a non-standard WAV header. It is likely that such applications will eventually be updated to support the standard header, but in the mean time, this SoX format can be used to create files with the non-standard header that should work with these applications. (Note that SoX will automatically detect and read WAV files with the non-standard header.)

The most common use of this file-type is likely to be along the following lines:
sox infile.any -t wavpcm -e signed-integer outfile.wav

Last edited:
Top Bottom