32 bits REW engine ?

FRAPPIER OLIVIER

Registered
Hi,

REW can generate 32 bits TONE to .wav.

But how can rew generate in live 32 bits tone ? it's limited to 24 bits ?

Most of audiocard (new) have drivers USB in 32 float bits as OSX CORE AUDIO or WASAPI WIN10.

How i set REW in 32 bits as my MOTU driver in OSX that are in 32 bits float ?

REW is 32 bits float engine or 32 bits ?

anyway, great work and freat free software :)

Can RTA windows be set of 32 bits of Heardromm /dynamics ?

Regards,

Olivier F.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Internally REW uses 32-bit floats for audio data. With ASIO drivers on Windows the float values are converted to whatever sample format the ASIO driver uses (the format is shown in the status bar at the bottom of the main REW window). On Linux or macOS REW uses 24-bit signed PCM if the driver supports that, otherwise 16-bit signed PCM. Audio data is typically normalised so there isn't much to be gained from using floats rather than PCM when sending audio data to devices or receiving it from devices.

I don't understand your RTA window question.

FRAPPIER OLIVIER

Registered
Hi,

Thanks.

But i'm on OSX, and CORE AUDIO is 32 FLOAT bits, and my VIRTUAL AUDIO Cable too, and MOTU drivers are 32 bits too....

It would my Nice in future updates that REW use 32 bits AUDIO for OSX

see atached files :

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-11-13 à 14.46.58.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-11-13 à 14.46.58.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture d’écran 2019-11-13 à 14.47.09.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-11-13 à 14.47.09.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 5

FRAPPIER OLIVIER

Registered
Hi,

Yes the loopback virtual Cable is 32 Bits float.
And the DAC of my MOTU 8A is 32 bits / USB driver 32 bits /internal mixer and effects, DSP 32 bits float (ADC i don't know) : all on OSX

Regards,

O.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's not their performance, just the sample format they accept. 24-bit performance would mean SINAD of 144 dB, which is about 20 dB more than today's best interfaces can achieve.

FRAPPIER OLIVIER

Registered
Hi,

I know. But i would like to measure VIRTUAL CABLE at 32 bits and shared mode in CORE AUDIO 32 bits, quality software player at 32 bits, and USB in/ou feedback with internal DSP, not measure Interface/ Hardware performance :)

anyway, thanks for this great tool ! at 24 bits :)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I haven't seen the macOS Java runtime offer any float format or any PCM format beyond 24 bits. On Linux with PulseAudio the Java runtime offers a 32-bit PCM format, but again no float formats that I have seen. For normalised data the difference between 32-bit float and 24-bit PCM is only 1 bit of precision, since the float format has an effective 25 bits of mantissa precision when the sign bit and the implicit leading 1 are included.

Top Bottom