2-band EQ AVR, 3 PEQ SVS sub, simple soundbar REW calibration procedure?

Paul Anderegg

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TSR700
I am trying to nail down the exact process for calibrating the little home theater audio setup in a small bedroom. I have a Sony DH590 with simple auto-calibration, and simple bass and treble +/-10db controls. My PB1000 SVS sub has 3 PEQ available, and all this is running through a small 38-inch wide passive soundbar.

The auto-calibration process in the Sony AVR seems to be able to slightly (3-5db) lift small areas of the upper mid-range when I run it. Nothing special, but it does fill a room mode in that area. The Sony bass and treble sliders do indeed lift the top and bottom ends of the range 10db and look to pivot in the center around 500Hz which remains constant. With my room modes, the 3 PEQ in the SVS are always used to target two high peaks, one at 45Hz and the other combined between 85-140Hz. The SVS sub has an issue where it requires the Sony AVR sub level to be cranked to max +10db in order to sense low volume audio listening levels, or it will not auto turn on. Since the Sony auto-calibration sets the sub level, this requires me to run it a few times, adjusting the SVS master volume level in the app until the Sony auto-sets the required +10bd during its process. Lastly, when recalibrating or adjusting, the last run auto-calibration seems to stay in the AVR until the next run, and I don't see a clear or reset for just those unviewable unmodifiable adjustments in the AVR DSP.

With that in mind, what is the proper or correct workflow for calibrating this system. My last run, I reset the PEQ in the SVS and set the treble and base to 0 in the Sony AVR, then matched the sub and AVR to 75db before adjusting the treble and bass controls for flatter response (Sony AVR bass affects the SVS all the way down to 10Hz) and then generating the PEG EQs in REW matching the subs 10-200Hz to the full range 10-20,000 soundbar. I then adjust the sub master volume back to 75db to match the soundbar at 75db, then run the Sony auto-calibration adjusting the SVS sub level as required to attain the auto-calibrated Sony AVR sub +10 level value.

Is there a better way to process this workflow, the order in which I modify the specific devices and their settings?

Paul

Top Bottom