full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1551151158.jpg

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :3.5stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&update=1551151158.jpg
Movie

50s horror films are sort of an acquired taste for many, as they are kitschy and cheesy as all get out, but that’s really part of the charm for these films. I love films like Monolithic Monster, Tarantula, and The Thing that Couldn’t Die so when I heard that Scream Factory was digging into Universal’s old 50s vaults I was ecstatic. I unfortunately had never been able to see The Mole People in it’s original form, but I HAD been able to see the chopped down version that was shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000 back in 1997, so color me tickled pink when Scream Factory announced that we would be getting 3 versions of the film. The main one would be the 2.00:1 framed original aspect ratio, as well as the modified version in 1.85:1 AND the MST3K episode in the special features, all packaged up with some really nice extras as well. The end result is a kitschy cheesefest that hits all of the old Journey to the Center of the Earth buttons as well as the super serious veneer that these post nuclear age films were typically coated in. All in all, it’s a blast to watch such a horribly awesome film (the MST3K episode with it is absolutely priceless) in full HD and it’s great to see Scream Factory pulling deeper and deeper into the studios back catalog of titles.

The Mole People is really kind of a misleading title, as the picture on the front of the case and the title itself leads you to believe that we’re going to the land of these evil beasties, but in reality they’re a secondary character to the main story line. Three Archaeologists find out that an ancient civilization that used to live on the planes of Sumeria actually had fled to a frosty mountain top to survive a giant flood. Traipsing to the top of the mountain the archaeologists find a few remnants of the ancient Sumerian civilization, but not much in the way of rubble and ruins. However, their wish is granted when a crack in the earth sends the men deep into the center of the earth, where they find the remains of the ancient city.
The thing is, these are more than remains. The 5,000 year old city is alive and well within the hollow of the earth, and the ancient Sumerians are alive and well, although slightly altered from having grown up in without natural sunlight for 5,000 years. Captured by the ancient race, the archaeologists struggle to find a way to the surface, but find that they are prisoners of the king and his evil high priest (whom most will recognize Alan Napier, who is most famous for playing the butler Alfred in the 1960s Batman TV show), and the only way out of their mess is lying and saying that they are emissaries of the ancient Sun God Ishtar (thanks to the flashlight that imitates Ishtar’s rays of sun). To make matters worse, the tunnels are lined with “mole people”, an indigenous underground species who are used as slaves by the Sumerians, and act as a natural barrier to getting out, as well as a sympathetic reason for the archaeologists to stay and try to change the course of their lives.

The Mole People is pure and utter CHEESE to the max. It’s right in line with a bunch of other 50s films like Monolithic Monster and the like. As a stand alone movie it may seem lacking in today’s world, but combine the cheesiness of the actual movie with the fun of the included MST3K episode the fun is off the charts. The film itself is simple and straight forward (like many of the time), and plays out much like a Ray Harryhausen film, just with goofy burlap costumes (for the Mole People) vs. stop motion animation. The film itself is a hoot and half, and while I have to dock it technically for being a cheese fest, that is literally part of the charm and works in the film’s favor at times. Thus a slight boost to the rating just for the cheese factory alone.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4stars:
full?lightbox=1&update=1551151158.png
This isn’t labeled as having a new scan or master taken, so I can only guess at what HD master was used for the home video release, but the end result is generally quite pleasing for a 50s black and white film. Grain levels are thick and well defined, but there are a few scenes (such as when the trio are in the tent before the avalanche) where grain spikes quite heavily, and there are some speckles and debris on the print itself. Otherwise fine details are more than pleasing and black levels well within excellent bounds. It’s not going to win any awards, but it IS a very agreeable looking transfer and one that looks great in both 1.85:1 as well as 2.00:1 (the MST3K episode is in Standard Definition).

Audio: :3.5stars:
full?lightbox=1&update=1551151158.png
The DTS-HD MA Mono is nearly as well received as the video, but it IS showing its age just a bit. Dialog is usually clean and clear, but there is a distinct analog hiss to the track that is rather noticeable if you listen objectively. The score is impactful and well done, and the action aspects of the movie are evenly balanced with the audio mix. The reality of the situation is, that this is a Mono mix from a 1950s B movie and not captured with the greatest audio technology comparatively speaking, and that age and quirkiness (especially with the hiss) is noticeable to those who are used to crystal clear mixes from today. Is there anything wrong with Scream Factory’s release of the mix? Not by any stretch of the imagination. They have done a great job at giving us a very solid mix, it’s just that the age and simplistic nature of the track keep it from being awe inspiring.

Extras: :4stars:
TWO PRESENTATIONS OF THE FILM - in 1.85:1 and 2.00:1 ASPECT RATIOS
• NEW Audio Commentary with film historians Tom Weaver and David Schecter
• NEW Of Mushrooms and Madmen: The Making of THE MOLE PEOPLE
• Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "The Mole People" (2/15/97) in standard definition
• Still Galleries – movie stills, posters and lobby cards
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Score: :4stars:

The Mole People is a charming bit of 50s kitsch, and the addition of the 1.85:1 framed version of the film (which was for some home video releases back in the day) as well as the MST3K feature in the already hefty extras makes for a fantastic old fashioned horror release. While I’m sad Scream Factory wasn’t able to get a new scan for the film’s induction into HD, the features are nearly Collector’s Edition status, and the film itself is a hilariously fun watch as well. Definitely recommended for fans of niche 50s B-rated horror films.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: John Agar, Cynthia Patrick, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier, Nestor Paiva, Phil Chambers, Rodd Redwing, Frank Baxter, Robin Hughes
Directed by: Virgil W. Vogel
Written by: Laszlo Gorog
Aspect Ratio: 2.00:1, AVC / 1.85:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA Mono
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Scream Factory
Rated: NR
Runtime: 78 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: February 26th, 2019

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I can't remember if I saw this in the past. Will check it out. :)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Seems interesting. I will check it out as well. Thank you for the review!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
little bit of fun info. The writer for The Mole People is actually comedian Adam Corolla's grandfather

Top Bottom