REW Beta Release Win 10 64-bit, REW V5.20 RC5 Java error when capturing graph image. (stop gap found)

Farsil

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer Elite SC-05, Yamaha RX-V379
Main Amp
Geshelli Erish, Geshlli Archel2 Pro, Mono THX 887
Additional Amp
Archel1 Pro, Zen Can, Zen DAC, XD-05+, Qudelix 5k
Other Amp
ES100, UP4, DV 336SE, Bravo Ocean, TA-01, DX160
Computer Audio
Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo
DAC
M300 mk2, ENOG2, Q5K, Zen DAC, D10
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
BDP-09FP
Front Speakers
Polk TSi300 x2
Surround Speakers
Polk TSi100 (stacked on TSi300, in 4ch stereo)
Subwoofers
Klipsch SW-350
Other Speakers or Equipment
Def Tech BP7004 x2, Def Tech CLR-2300 x1
Streaming Subscriptions
Spotify, Amazon HD, Tidal hifi
Sorry if the formatting is.. w-well less than otherwise expected, especially for the title. I do hope I can be forgiven this once... but I digress. (edit shortly after posting) I should note, I only listed it as a beta release due to my getting this version from the beta release section of the forum. So... that association might be in error. My apologies in that regard.

I was getting the following error when trying to generate an image with the "Capture graph image" utility/function on both the Overlays screen and the normal testing environment under the "SPL & Phase" tab.
Scratch that pastebin link, I'm not allowed so all there will be is the .txt

Effectively it was having issues either with not being allowed to write to a given destination within the C: directory, or it was having issues negotiating/accepting of the desired location within the C: directory. I'm... not really sure to be honest, I don't speak Java and I did try to look everything up and even used 7zip to try to figure out if I could brute force a destination, but to no avail I'm afraid.
In the end I was able to circumvent this issue by just using a separate directory entirely. In this particular case I happened to just use the root of my I: ( i ) directory and it saved without a hitch! Furthermore I was also able to now save to a folder within the I directory. (I... might have an issue with too many drives?)
Either way, if anyone else happens to have this issue, try something like this! Should you not have a slew of other drives in your computer, try an external drive of some form ie; thumb drive/flash drive, SD cards and the like, a NAS, or even external HDD/SSD drives.

As for other things I tried and failed at as an addendum I suppose.
I did try to update Java but it simply refuses to update to the latest revision for whatever reason. I also tried restarting, elevating permissions and running as admin, the whole shebang. Nothing worked until I did the above. I genuinely don't know why it worked, likewise I also genuinely have no idea why I had to do this. But it works now and since then, I don't have to use the screen snip feature (thank you multiple screens!) I will also attach a basic notepad note to this in the event that whomever happens upon this refuses to use pastebin.

Attachments

• REW V5.20 RC5 java error.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

sam_adams

If you are having issues updating the JRE, it could be that the installed version is very old. Try uninstalling it and any other versions that may be installed—you only need one version installed for the 'bitness' of the REW installer that matches your Windows 'bitness'. If you run into issues uninstalling Java, try using JavaRa to uninstall the JRE. Download the offline installer instead of the online version.

Farsil

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo
DAC
BDP-09FP
Front Speakers
Polk TSi300 x2
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Klipsch SW-350
Streaming Subscriptions
If you are having issues updating the JRE, it could be that the installed version is very old. Try uninstalling it and any other versions that may be installed—you only need one version installed for the 'bitness' of the REW installer that matches your Windows 'bitness'. If you run into issues uninstalling Java, try using JavaRa to uninstall the JRE. Download the offline installer instead of the online version.
That is some absolutely stellar advice! I.. actually can't recall the last time I even updated JRE to be honest...
Speaking of things I don't know. If I have a feature(s) suggestion(s), would I just start another thread and make the suggestion? For REW of course.

Farsil

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo
DAC
BDP-09FP
Front Speakers
Polk TSi300 x2
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Klipsch SW-350
Streaming Subscriptions
Most awesome, I will do that once I get all of the thoughts jotted down and more or less organized. I very much appreciate the quick go-ahead regarding this too, thank you!

Top Bottom