Main Amp
Threshold T200
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-105
Front Speakers
Aerial Acoustics 7Ts
Subwoofers
Velodyne (old)
Hello. I am brand new to all this. I bought a miniDSP UMIK-1 from cross-spectrum.com for myself for Christmas and I just downloaded REW software. I undocked my laptop, grabbed an HDMI cable, and went downstairs to my stereo system, only to find out that my laptop (and dock) only have Display Port, no HDMI. I was sure it had HDMI, but I was wrong. I assume that if I use the analog audio out of the computer that it is not going to have a very good output amplifier (flat down to 20 Hz). That is why I wanted to use HDMI out to my Oppo. I am mainly concerned about bass, so I do want the tools to be flat from 20-200Hz.

I can't think of any solutions other than trying to borrow a laptop with an HDMI output, or hauling my desktop and monitor downstairs. Any suggestions?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The laptop out should be flat to 20 Hz. If it has a line input you can check the response by making a loopback measurement from headphone out to line in.

Gerry Iaria

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz Cinema 50
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony X800
Front Speakers
Arendal 1961 monitors
Center Channel Speaker
Arendal 1961 centre monitor
Surround Speakers
Altec c1
Surround Back Speakers
Totem Acoustic Dream catcher
Subwoofers
Arendal Sub1- Ken Kreisel 800
Screen
Samsung S95C 77inch
Remote Control
yes, L.O.L
Streaming Equipment
Apple
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple,Netflix, Prime, Skyanytime
Hello. I am brand new to all this. I bought a miniDSP UMIK-1 from cross-spectrum.com for myself for Christmas and I just downloaded REW software. I undocked my laptop, grabbed an HDMI cable, and went downstairs to my stereo system, only to find out that my laptop (and dock) only have Display Port, no HDMI. I was sure it had HDMI, but I was wrong. I assume that if I use the analog audio out of the computer that it is not going to have a very good output amplifier (flat down to 20 Hz). That is why I wanted to use HDMI out to my Oppo. I am mainly concerned about bass, so I do want the tools to be flat from 20-200Hz.

I can't think of any solutions other than trying to borrow a laptop with an HDMI output, or hauling my desktop and monitor downstairs. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to the forum, looks like you have a Mac Book or similar, I have the same, but you can get a display port to HDMI converter,I use one, can't remember what I paid for it, but it's not expensive, it's about 3 inches long, and it works

antr

Registered
The laptop out should be flat to 20 Hz. If it has a line input you can check the response by making a loopback measurement from headphone out to line in.
Hi
Using rew for the first time, But can't get any HDMI output.
Following latest user manual and using latest rew and asio.
Checking sound via windows connected to Marantz AV8802A works fine with a 7.1 test.
Following all settings in ASIO etc results in no output, see attachment
So it looks to be something between REW and W10 via ASIO......
ASIO control panel do not show an HDMI as your user's guide, but what can cause that since hdmi obviously is working outside REW,,,,
Any ideas are appreciated
asiocontrolpanel.jpg
rewsettings.jpg
w10settings.jpg

/Anders

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Try deselecting Realtek High Definition Audio in the ASIO4All control panel and then use the Reload button to reload the driver and see what outputs are offered.

antr

Registered
Try deselecting Realtek High Definition Audio in the ASIO4All control panel and then use the Reload button to reload the driver and see what outputs are offered.
Makes no difference unfortunately... ( Unselected Reaktek, Reload, check... )
asiocontrolpanel_2.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is your processor set to a multichannel input mode? Needs to be whatever mode supports PCM over HDMI, mode names vary.

antr

Registered
Is your processor set to a multichannel input mode? Needs to be whatever mode supports PCM over HDMI, mode names vary.
Yes, and tried different modes and even same HDMI Input on AV8802a that is normaly used for playback, same issue remains....
Shoulden't output graph indicate that REW tries to put out a signal, it remains dead.. ?
What else can block the signal from REW via ASIO4ALL ?
Any possibility to have external sweep tones that don't runs via REW ?
marantz.jpg
asiocontrolpanel_3.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You need tp press the "Next" button to start the output signal. Measurement can be made with file playback, but it may be difficult to route the file to individual channels.

Top Bottom