Which combination of mains & subs to EQ to house curve (for correct SPL)?

Porkchop

Registered
TL;DR: When EQ'ing/leveling a stereo setup (L&R mains, 2 subs) to a particular target (e.g., 75db flat, Harman curve, etc.), do you match each speaker and each sub separately to the target level, match the combined subs to the target level, match the mains combined to the target level, or . . . ?

For a stereo setup (music), I have L & R mains and two subs (Lsub, Rsub). Everything goes through a miniDSP 2x4HD, the subs each get the combined L+R signal. My question is specifically which combination(s) of these should be used to EQ to a target house curve? I've searched for a few days, looked through the guides, and haven't been able to find a specific answer.

I'm specifically concerned about making sure the levels are correct across the range once I'm using all speakers together (listening to music). I've seen some guides say to measure all mains and subs separately, some guides say to measure all subs together. Most guides seem to suggest EQ'ing the subs together. However, measuring subs together leads to a higher SPL vs measuring them separately. Thus if I'm trying to match a Harman curve with a target of 75db (so ~81db at lowest frequencies), I'll set lower volumes for the subs (or apply a more aggressive EQ) in the miniDSP if I'm doing subs combined compared to subs separately, to reach that 75db target curve.

The same question applies to EQ'ing the mains to the house curve. I understand I should EQ the Lmain and Rmain separately, but should each be EQ'd to a target of 72db (so they combine to ~75db when both are played) or each to 75db? Is Trace Arithmetic A+B useful here?

What got me thinking is the guides that instruct to measure L+all subs and R+all subs, such as the AustinJerry guide. Wouldn't that lead to an SPL mismatch between the mains and subs, since the subs will have summed output compared to the single main speaker?

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Not sure about the expectation that the information here from AV NIRVANA will be better or more accurate than all those “guides,” but I’ll play along. :)

I'm specifically concerned about making sure the levels are correct across the range once I'm using all speakers together (listening to music).
I do the adjustments with the L/R plus subs, ’cause that’s the way I listen to the system. Typically when things sound balanced, the subs will end up measuring a higher SPL than the L/R.

The same question applies to EQ'ing the mains to the house curve. I understand I should EQ the Lmain and Rmain separately…
No. The L/R should be equalized with matching filters. Otherwise stereo imagine sounds whacked in the frequency range where the filters mismatch. Equalizers work via phase changes, so that probably accounts for it.

Below the Schroeder frequency, you can EQ the L/R with separate filters. There are calculations for that, but basically the point where the signal can’t be localized (i.e. which speaker it’s coming from), that’s your room’s Schroeder frequency. It’s best to use filtered pink noise as a signal source for this, not sine waves.

Also, multiple subs should be equalized as a single unit – after all, that’s the way you hear them.

The same question applies to EQ'ing the mains to the house curve. I understand I should EQ the Lmain and Rmain separately, but should each be EQ'd to a target of 72db (so they combine to ~75db when both are played) or each to 75db? Is Trace Arithmetic A+B useful here?
Really, people fret too much over this stuff. Just eliminate the worst peaks and depressions in your mains and subs, adjust the level between them for a good-sounding blend, and go. :) It probably won’t get as much improvement as you expect by chasing every little ripple in response with a zillion filters. Good-quality mains shouldn’t need more than 2-3 filters, if that. If the subs need more than 3-4 filters, placement probably needs to be re-evaluated.

Regards,
Wayne

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Last edited:
Top Bottom