What's YOUR resolution? The reality of resolution and distance...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Alright... let's take HDR/Wide Color out of the discussion and focus on resolution.

At what point does resolution really start to make a difference in your viewing room?

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.17.12 PM.png

For my living room, I'm squarely in the 1080p zone for a 60" TV... and in my movie room, I'm mighty close to 4K.

How about you?

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I'm in the 720p range in my living room and 1080p in the theater. The theater is going to change early next year though as I'll be dumping the 'L' shaped sectional for two rows of theater seats with butt kickers. Then the first row will be solidly in the 4K zone!

Excellent topic Todd!

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I have a 100" screen and the front seats are like 10 feet away from the screen or so. Rear seats are about 15 feet away. The front seats are the good seats (since the rear seats are Papasan chairs) so that puts me squarely in the 4K camp it seems. I don't have a 4K projector. I've also set up the frame behind the screen to allow for a simple modification to increase the screen size drastically. The screen could be increased to a 140" diagonal 16:9 screen. In fact, in theory, I could go to a nearly 11-foot wide screen, the width of the room. That is about a 150" screen. If projectors got substantially brighter in the sub-$3k range, I would consider something that nuts. It's not the "correct" field of view, so I can't speak to how that would look.

Todd how does that work? The standards for cinema establish ranges for the field of view the screen should encompass. It seems like the minimum viewing distance for an 8K screen would require a screen so large as to far exceed the accepted field of view standards. I'm doing the mental image of what a 150" screen would be like in my theater, and I'm thinking I would probably find that uncomfortable. It would be hard to see what is going on, to track all the action.

So another question Todd, and I get that there is some science here, but...I have a 42" 4K tv in the bedroom. It sits about 5-6 feet from the bed. I ran 4K and 1080p sharpness patterns and resolution patterns, one of which was supposed to allow you to tell if you can discern the 4K advantage or not. It was clearly obvious from my bed. However, that size and distance places it outside of the accepted range of being worth it by a decent amount, right? I've also watched 4K content and 1080p content on Amazon since those are separate streams and could easily see the sharpness difference (though I will admit, they could be messing with the image in other ways, I have no idea).

Is there any chance that there is not a hard line, as suggested, but more of a fuzzy transition?

I can't see the benefit of 4K without my glasses at nearly any distance, so this test was done with glasses, for what its worth.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Matt, you definitely have to be careful about going too large. You'll end up in a situation where watching content could make you feel dizzy or sick! I'd definitely pay attention to screen size limits.

As for the last question: I'm sure this is a give-or-take chart based on a person's individual eye sight capabilities. Perhaps glasses have magnification effect that trumps that of normal vision?

With Amazon you might be seeing a significant difference if HDR/Wide Color is coming into play... that's one factor that blows standard 1080p out of the water.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Matt, you definitely have to be careful about going too large. You'll end up in a situation where watching content could make you feel dizzy or sick! I'd definitely pay attention to screen size limits.

As for the last question: I'm sure this is a give-or-take chart based on a person's individual eye sight capabilities. Perhaps glasses have magnification effect that trumps that of normal vision?

With Amazon you might be seeing a significant difference if HDR/Wide Color is coming into play... that's one factor that blows standard 1080p out of the water.

I can’t speak to magnification but I would think that if my glasses gave me better than perfect vision it would come up in my vision test. The standard test does assess better than perfect vision and my opthomologist usually lets me attempt the smallest line on the board. I have a weird problem. I’m near sighted. The problem is minor, until this past year I could pass a 20/20 vision test with no glasses. My glasses have prisms in them to address minor double vision (I don’t notice it until it’s corrected). Yet for some reason the difference with and without glasses on detailed images on a screens is night and day.

I don’t really plan to make a 150” screen. There aren’t many projectors that would even work well at that size outside of commercial venue projectors. I had briefly considered it as a means to modify the front wall and allow me a better speaker position. The 100” screen i use is just too narrow for ideal speaker placement. The speakers should ideally be situated where the side bars of the screen are located. To get a screen that moves the bars 6-10 inches out means one that is 1-2 feet wider. That’s about a 112 inch screen. However I was thinking that to create a diffraction free front wall the screen needs to extend from one end to the other. That was the only reason I even bothered to figure out that this would be a 150” screen. Then I thought 4K would be very useful, but at the same time, a nauseating large screen area.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
50" at 9 feet in the 1080p zone with a 1080/24p/30p HD Sony Bravia TV here... Have liked Sony since working with their Shamu (4kx3kx24bit color tube) project many years back (early 90s)... That thing was a monster and oh so beautiful... Studios, SFX and Post Production houses as well as many signal and image processing teams when crazy for these things...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
50" at 9 feet in the 1080p zone with a 1080/24p/30p HD Sony Bravia TV here... Have liked Sony since working with their Shamu (4kx3kx24bit color tube) project many years back (early 90s)... That thing was a monster and oh so beautiful... Studios, SFX and Post Production houses as well as many signal and image processing teams when crazy for these things...

You’re definitely right in the sweet spot zone for 9-ft.... add another 20” screen diagonal and 4K becomes worth it. That’s a fairly big difference!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I can’t speak to magnification but I would think that if my glasses gave me better than perfect vision it would come up in my vision test. The standard test does assess better than perfect vision and my opthomologist usually lets me attempt the smallest line on the board. I have a weird problem. I’m near sighted. The problem is minor, until this past year I could pass a 20/20 vision test with no glasses. My glasses have prisms in them to address minor double vision (I don’t notice it until it’s corrected). Yet for some reason the difference with and without glasses on detailed images on a screens is night and day.

I don’t really plan to make a 150” screen. There aren’t many projectors that would even work well at that size outside of commercial venue projectors. I had briefly considered it as a means to modify the front wall and allow me a better speaker position. The 100” screen i use is just too narrow for ideal speaker placement. The speakers should ideally be situated where the side bars of the screen are located. To get a screen that moves the bars 6-10 inches out means one that is 1-2 feet wider. That’s about a 112 inch screen. However I was thinking that to create a diffraction free front wall the screen needs to extend from one end to the other. That was the only reason I even bothered to figure out that this would be a 150” screen. Then I thought 4K would be very useful, but at the same time, a nauseating large screen area.

I don’t know Matt - I’m starting to thinking i need to go see an eye doctor about these “glasses.” Can you see through walls, by any chance?

Interesting that you’re considering speaker placement in relation to screen size. I’d assume most people find that screens can push speakers too far to the outside of a room / near boundaries. But I guess that’s totally variable!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I have a Samsung LED 75 inch 1080p TV and I sit 12.5 ft away. Any closer and it would be just too big for my eyes. lol. :)

Top Bottom