What do you use and like to assess a room's sound quality

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I'm curious what others like to use for assessing a rooms sound quality. Do you use objective measurements or rely primarily on your subjective impressions? What have you disliked in a room?

I've mentioned my acoustics credentials else where, so I won't repeat, but I thought it was worth starting this with what I like to do myself and what experience has brought me. I'm still learning (as should anyone really) and continue to find things in practice that surprise me as they seem inconsistent with what I would expect based on my understanding of the physics. Those are always good learning experiences, to do something, measure its effect, see what you expect, but not hear what you expect.

My own room design, development, and assessment process starts with my ears. I'm sure that is true of anyone. I listen for speech clarity initially, try to hold a conversation in the room. I intentionally use certain words and stop the short to listen to the decay and reverberations. I listen for signs of flutter echo. I then move on to the warmth of the voices, which tells me how lower frequencies decay. I may clap my hands, snap my fingers, or even make a sound to get a better feel. If the room has a sound system installed I listen to some music I know very well that is very simple in nature. I usually follow that up with something more complex. I'll then take measurements in various locations in the room, but primarily the area where the MLP should be. I'll usually use impulse measurements to assess the rooms RT60 down to the point where the room transitions into a steady state. At that point I'll use measurements to explore bass decay (waterfall) and look for signs of ringing. I'll often take measurements of the rooms dimensions and draw a sketch. I'll use this to calculate the room's expected modes and match anomalies in the response with modes. Anymore I use REW for this, the room simulator makes my life so much easier in this regard. I also take measurements of the noise floor and listen with my ears for ambient sounds (HVAC, Dishwasher, Cars, etc.)

I dislike an overly reverberant room for a listening space. I find it hard to hear details in the music. My preference is to dry a room out substantially to a very low RT60 value and then bring back the ambience/life of the room through strategically placed reflective surfaces. I haven't played around with diffusers much, mostly MLS type. I hope to use more and plan to add QRD's to my room. I have used QRD's in studios before and think they make for a cool practice space.

Things I didn't expect: A very dry room sounds very warm. Harsh sounding speakers often don't sound harsh, but the warmth can be significant. I can imagine people not liking he balance. My speakers have a mellow voicing and when I brought my rooms reverberation time down from .5 seconds to .2 seconds, I found it became very warm and intimate.

I hate dealing with room modes and bass problems. There is probably nothing hard to deal with than the bass. Especially in the 100hz to 300hz range. Mode density is very high, it is above where the subwoofers typically operate, but the room still dominates the response to a great extent.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Interesting question. It sounds like you and I are on a similar track, but you probably take things a tad more to a technical level (than I do). I think your background in acoustics likely leads you down that path - which is great. I applaud that level of analysis. You are a kindred spirit to one of our senior reviewers, Wayne Myers (@AudiocRaver).

Ultimately, I find the best judge to be the ear. But some measurements at the MLP (I primarily look to response) certainly help. Bass is, by far, the most difficult beast to tame (and frustratingly so!).

I also find an overly reverberant room to make for a poor listening space. Sounds like you have a lot of panels, etc, on hand to help tune a room?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
This is about the sound and our enjoyment of what we hear so ultimately our ears are our best tool. I like measurements because sometimes I can’t be sure of what I’m hearing and measurements make it easier. I know people who can hear bloat in the bass and know it’s at 64hz with a Q of 1. They can no it’s about 3db hot there and figure out a good eq. I can’t do that.

If the room is a component in our system, we should treat it as such. We choose our speakers carefully, why not our room.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I agree, there are many tools but in the end I let my ears tell me what sounds best. After many many years of runnng house sound and doing freelance studio mixing I've relied on my ears to be the judge and based on the many positive comments I've gotten over those years saying how good it sounds I must be on to something.
REW is still my favourite tool to use for my own home use and truly is a powerful tool

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I agree, there are many tools but in the end I let my ears tell me what sounds best. After many many years of runnng house sound and doing freelance studio mixing I've relied on my ears to be the judge and based on the many positive comments I've gotten over those years saying how good it sounds I must be on to something.
REW is still my favourite tool to use for my own home use and truly is a powerful tool

Hey Tony. Makes a lot of sense. Our ears should always be the final determinant.

I guess I’m asking for more. What do you like in a room? How do you know the room is good? What does it do well when it’s right? If all of this is just a means to an end, then what should that end look like?

Certainly it shouldn’t be some arbitrary RT60 number, the flatness of the response curve. We all know there is more to it.

For example, I really find it important that the room is very clear. That there is a good level of decay and not too much of those later early reflections that can cloud the sound.

I like a really quiet room so I can listen at reasonable levels and hear every detail. The room itself should be more resolving than the rest of the system.

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I also like a dead/ quiet room. I have always found that it sounds best even if it means I have to do some boosting of the highs to overcome it.

Top Bottom