Streaming Equipment
(potentially) SMSL SD-9
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal Masters, Spotify Free, Youtube...
Satellite System
What is TV?
Other Equipment
FiiO FH5s IEM + FiiO Q1 MKII DAC/AMP
Hello all, im looking for something to fit a specific purpouse but not sure what to look for.

Id like something I can plug an SSD into, with all my music on, and connect to my PC via wifi/ethernet - i dont need tidal, spotify etc

It should output via USB to my DAC and should have a screen on the front to show album art etc.

and budget is less than £300.

I currently use a PC, so it must be better in terms of 'noise' than a PC.

Any ideas/reccomends? I have the SMSL SU-9 DAC and the SMSL SD-9 looks nice and would fit my asthetic... but ive read about it and it seems to have some bad technical issues. Considered also IfI Zen Stream but has no screen.

Id prefer something thats not Pi based unless its Pi already in a box and from a known trusted manufacturer and i dont have to do much work.

Cheers.

dhai

I have an SMSL SD-9 (5 months in use, max 256 GB SD cards, unfortunately) and it works fine, faster reacting than my other "burn-in source", a Soundaware A1 (15 months in use). Sometimes used for file listening, also nice, probably less impressive than higher standard audio PCs (dual JPLay setup and Euphony Stylus). In contrast to these, both SD card players never hang up and don't need internet connections to "phone home".

UKSPAWN

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SMSL SU-9 (Pre/Dac)
Main Amp
Rotel A12 (Fixed output mode)
Computer Audio
PC via USB - Foobar2000
DAC
SMSL SU-9 (Pre/Dac)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Monitor Audio Bronze 5g
Subwoofers
SVS SB1000PRO 12" + MonoPrice MONOLITH THX 10"
Other Speakers or Equipment
MINI DSP 2x4HD (L+R+SW1+SW2)
Video Display Device
BENQ W2000
Screen
EliteScreens AEON CineGrey 100"
Remote Control
SmartIR device via android
Streaming Equipment
(potentially) SMSL SD-9
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
What is TV?
Other Equipment
I have an SMSL SD-9 (5 months in use, max 256 GB SD cards, unfortunately) and it works fine, faster reacting than my other "burn-in source", a Soundaware A1 (15 months in use). Sometimes used for file listening, also nice, probably less impressive than higher standard audio PCs (dual JPLay setup and Euphony Stylus). In contrast to these, both SD card players never hang up and don't need internet connections to "phone home".

Ah nice, an owner i can ask a feq questions too. I think im going to pull the trigger on the SD-9.

A few people said that they had some pop/crackle sounds during playback of some songs and they returned theirs? have you ever had anything like that happen?

I will be using it with a USB SSD and then back out via USB to my SMSL SU-9, and also connecting my PC to the SD-9 for when gaming etc.

Have you any experience with that or care to try it for me? PC USB > USB B input of SD-9 > USB OTG Output of SD-9 into USB DAC?

It will succesfully pass through the PC USB signal to the dac essentially making the SD-9 a simple input selector and pass-through.

cheers

dhai

I experienced flawless reproduction of 44.1-192 kHz 16/24 bit pcm, no higher density nor dsd tried.
SD card only, and BT by my son, also nice and responsive. Ditto BT remote control via HiBy app.

Sorry, I don't want my PCs to eat another driver to try that. If I find time to test HD playback, will let
you know.. Expecting this needs indexing the HD data, and my audio HDs are fully loaded 1-2TB.
That may take days. SD card work with browsing through folders, my favorite method.

UKSPAWN

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SMSL SU-9 (Pre/Dac)
Main Amp
Rotel A12 (Fixed output mode)
Computer Audio
PC via USB - Foobar2000
DAC
SMSL SU-9 (Pre/Dac)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Monitor Audio Bronze 5g
Subwoofers
SVS SB1000PRO 12" + MonoPrice MONOLITH THX 10"
Other Speakers or Equipment
MINI DSP 2x4HD (L+R+SW1+SW2)
Video Display Device
BENQ W2000
Screen
EliteScreens AEON CineGrey 100"
Remote Control
SmartIR device via android
Streaming Equipment
(potentially) SMSL SD-9
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
What is TV?
Other Equipment
no problem thats fine, dont worry. if you havnt experienced that problem with audio cut outs then thats good. all my content is 96/24 FLAC I think i will get it when i have saved for it...

Thank

Top Bottom